What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Free RV-7 fuel tanks

sahrens

Well Known Member
Yesterday I posted my RV-7 fuel tanks in the classified section for free. I did add to the post the previous builder had made an mistake; dimpling the tank skin and attempting to countersink the baffle edge. I believe the tanks would not have sealed properly or would have started leaking at some point. So I built two new tanks. Tired of the old tanks sitting on the floor I offered them to anyone who might want them. Someone claimed them that day. But I did requests for photos, so rather than continue this in the Classified section I restarted the post here.

Here are three images that I hope demonstrate my rational for abandoning the tanks. First let me say the plans state to countersink the tank skins and leave the baffle alone. This is so the baffle can slide in during the sealing of the aft end of the tank.

Below you can see the dimples in the skin of the tank. The larger dimples are for the tank attaching screws.

Dimple.jpg

In this image you can see the countersink attempt in the aft baffle. This countersink is not deep enough yet to allow the aft skin dimple to completely nest into the countersink. As you can see the rivet holes are biased toward the radius of the flange. To continue the countersink would have cut into the radius.

Countersink.jpg

In its current state because the countersink is not deep enough the baffle is held away from the tank skin.

Baffle.jpg

So I was left with a decision.

1. Continue the countersink with hope that cutting into the radius did not cause a problem.
2. Attempt to salvage the tank by removing the skin and installing a new one. If you can read that without laughing...
3. Abandon the tanks and build new tanks.

I choose option three. But others may have been able to salvage them. That is why I offered them up for free.

Scott

Back