What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

forward top skin relief cut

petehowell

Well Known Member
Has anyone found they have had to cut a notch in the upper forward skin to get it to fit around the roll bar on a slider with out scraping and having a big stress point? Mine is a very tight fit.

Pete

Yes, I did. Couldn't figure out why it was so tight. I am currently trimming my canopy, but ran into that just like you did. Hope it was ok, but I trimmed very small portions at a time until the sliding rails would not interfere. Looking ahead, I don't think this will be a problem as it will be covered up by a fiberglass fairing that will be fabricated (can't wait to do that) :D

Tight skin

My skin was also tight. I looked at a bunch of construction pictures and found the same. I also re-checked my dimensions for the roll bar installation and found it was right on. Although the skin is a little tight it did cleco up and riveted just fine. It just came across the web with a little "pooch" in the skin. Press on....

Pete,

My top skin also touches the roll bar on both sides. It's a very tight fit, but I was able to put in all the clecos without too much trouble. I think I'm going to trim the skin, but I haven't done it yet. I thought I would think about it for a few days, to see if I come up with any other ideas.

Mark

Top forward skin fit...

Look carefully in the instructions about installing your windshield on the slider. You will find that a notch is needed to pass the windshield inside the aft section of that skin. I called Van's to discover that fact. The details are on my web site at this URL:

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a100.htm

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ

Thanks Jerry

I had heard about this on RV-6's but thought it was dropped on the 9's and 7's. My engine order is going in soon.

Pete

notch in skin

I saw this on the 6's but it was much more of a cut than Jerry's, I didn't do
it on mine, it fit fine on the outside, and the epoxy blended fine also, I hope this doesn't cause issues down the road , Ie: cracked canopy, anyone else do it wrong like I did ? , I didn't find this in the words or the blueprints
and I knew the 6's had this much worse.. whats the story on the 7's & 9's

taking a poll ;)

Danny..

Windshield slots

Jerry,

Thank you for posting the link to your web site.The slots look like a great way to keep the skin from rubbing against the roll bar. Does anyone know where it says to do this in the directions? I've read through them several times and can't find where the slots are mentioned for the slider.

Thank you,

Mark

Danny,

There is a flying 9A based at my home field that doesn't have the slots.

I will probably add them to mine because the skin is stretched very tightly across the roll bar. I'm sure that part of the reason is because my roll bar is about 1/8 inch wider than what is called for in the plans. I tried several different methods to make it narrower, including squeezing it in a large bar clamp, but every time it returned to its original shape. About the time a fellow builder seriously suggested I put it between a block wall and the rear bumper of a car, and put the car in reverse, I decided to just install it "as delivered!" I sure hope the canopy frame is easier to bend than the roll bar.

Mark

bar clamp

thats what I did, be carefull with the thin tubing, I over bent mine , use the wood blocks like they said.. it will snap and be hard to fix..
I found a huge bar clamp that had a screw jack on the end for the roll bar
I don't think I needed the relief cuts though.. it turned out really nice..

Danny..

Back