What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward skin rivets

1rv4

Hi Everyone
I am building an early 3, (will be a 3B) and am drilling and fitting the forward fuselage skins. The plans don't show a rivet line along the bottom of the skin between forward wing spar and rear wing spar, some pictures I have seen seem to show riveting the skin to the bottom of the outboard seat rib. I have contacted VAN'S but no answer yet, any words of wisdom here?
Thanks
Chris

Drawing 23

Is this what you are looking for, or did I misinterpret your question?

HFS

RV3 S/N 11226 Building

Attachments

• RV3 - Bottom Fuse Rivets .jpg
    RV3 - Bottom Fuse Rivets .jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 83
Rivet line

Thanks for replying. It's the forward side skin (319). between the forward wing spar and rear wing spar attach point, at the bottom. If you look at the side view of the fuselage skin rivet call out there is a line of rivets missing (or not supposed to be there) along the bottom of the seat rib.
Not sure I explained that any better!
Chris

There is a vague reference on drawing #24 to rivet rib to side skin.

I did rivet along there with mine as how I interpreted the plans.

Drawing #21 does not show the rivets.

Russell

Attachments

• 24_3.pdf
    650 KB · Views: 87
  • 21_3.pdf
    683.7 KB · Views: 72
Drawings 21 & 24

Duh, my bad for not understanding your question - your description was fine.

But I think (now) what you are looking for is the "typical" condition shown on Drwg. 21 Fuselage - Fwd., and is probably what you are referring to - no rivets shown along the lower edge of the side skin between the main & aft spar locations.

As you are aware, there is no "conventional" longeron down there, just the web of the F-315L/R - so what Van calls for (in a very minor & hard to find notation - Drwg. 24) is to use AN470AD4-4 rivets along that line.

I personally don't care for the 470's because the raised head gets in the way of finishing the surface of the skin later on, so - I used (see attached) AD426AD3-4's on 1 1/4" spacing - same strength per unit length, just a little easier to set.

Sorry for being so dense the first time, hope I got it right this time?

HFS

Attachments

• RV3 - Side Skin Rivets .jpg
    RV3 - Side Skin Rivets .jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 86
  • RV3 - Side Skin Pic .jpg
    RV3 - Side Skin Pic .jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 86
Rivets

Thankyou for pointing out the annotation on the plans and the picture. Your help is much appreciated. That's what I was going to do but couldn't find the reference anywhere.
Chris

Back