What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Font size and contrast on the page

David Paule

Well Known Member
As I first see the new forum design, it's hard to read - the font is small and the contrast against the background is too low. Is htere any way for me to change those?

Thanks!
Dave

Just found the dark mode and it’s a little easier on the eyes, but the font is too small and contrast is definitely out of wack

Just use your browser’s font sizing feature.
If I did that, wouldn't it throw off everything else I read online? Take a peek at Beechtalk or for that matter the old VAF for an easy-to-read messsage board in a smaller font. I've tried both dark and light.

I am not sure the font that is being used. Was a bit fuzzy on my iPad and Mac. Much clearer on the PC. Wondering if the font is not standard on the Mac causing some of the clarity issues.

If I did that, wouldn't it throw off everything else I read online? Take a peek at Beechtalk or for that matter the old VAF for an easy-to-read messsage board in a smaller font. I've tried both dark and light.
Most browsers will remember the zoom level on a per-site basis.

I believe the problem is not the font size, but that this page is designed for use with smartphones. There is too much space wasted beteen the text lines, just for using a fat thumb to navigate.
It's awfully unergonomic to use on a pc, especially scolling throu the pages with a touch pad. I can't imagine to read any forum on a small phone sreen.
It would be a great idea, if this site could automatically destinguish between different devices.

Well, it's still hard to read because the font is too small. Changing to white on black only helped to a degree.

Please let us adjust the font size!

Also, once I click on Mark Forums Read, then I no longer have access to the unread ones; they've gone, disappeared who knows where.

Dave

Please let us adjust the font size!

I already adjusted the font size up once, that's about as much as the theme will tolerate without things getting wonky.

There's no facility for a user specified font size, likely because modern browsers let you zoom which is better than adjusting fonts, typically your browser's zoom feature will remember the setting on a per-site basis.

The site has to be mobile and desktop friendly, what's called a "responsive" design, it's the new normal for many years now. However, we just took a 20 year leap into he present.

I already adjusted the font size up once, that's about as much as the theme will tolerate without things getting wonky.

There's no facility for a user specified font size, likely because modern browsers let you zoom which is better than adjusting fonts, typically your browser's zoom feature will remember the setting on a per-site basis.

The site has to be mobile and desktop friendly, what's called a "responsive" design, it's the new normal for many years now. However, we just took a 20 year leap into he present.
The font size is too small for my eyes also and dark mode isn't any better. Some of the text areas are a bit lighter, probably for the 'modern' look but not so easy to read.

I tried zooming but it then pushes some content off the page.

Can the font size be made the same as the old VAF site?

I used the font size adjustment in Safari on my iOS devices and it works well with the responsive design. Make sure you use the Font size setting and not just zooming the whole page and everything should stay on the page. Once I had the font where I wanted it, I created the app clipping and it retained the font size for me.

Adam

I can handle the font size but the contrast, or rather lack thereof, drives me crazy. The current graphics obsession with super light grays is annoying. A "clean look" should not trump usability. Specifically I'm objecting to the date stamp and various links and icons. If it's worth putting on the page it should be readable.

I can handle the font size but the contrast, or rather lack thereof, drives me crazy. The current graphics obsession with super light grays is annoying. A "clean look" should not trump usability. Specifically I'm objecting to the date stamp and various links and icons. If it's worth putting on the page it should be readable.
+1

I have posted a couple times now that I cannot read the date on posts. This is important data, as I would like to see what is old vs new.

This is on my list of things to look at today, we have limitations that have to be considered, this is a theme that has to be updated with the software updates so things could start breaking. More to consider than just changing a color but we have some options, on it!

Got another comment... On the app on my iPad, there's no "back" button. I've got to scroll to the top, open the section (usually "what's new" I was looking at, and scroll down.

Dave

There is a back button on the bottom left corner...sometimes is fades in and out.
Yeah….about that button….I might be doing somethign wrong (quite possibly!), but if it sitting on top of another feature, like “Home” or “Share”, when I hit the back button, it often goes to the other feature. So I have to carefully scroll a bit to make sure the ”Back” button isn’t sitting over somethign else, and then have to wait for it to fade back up to be active….very tedious! Theremust be a simpler way to go “Back” that I am missing….. we got any young people here?

Doign all this on the iPad of course - should have said that….

Yeah….about that button….I might be doing somethign wrong (quite possibly!), but if it sitting on top of another feature, like “Home” or “Share”, when I hit the back button, it often goes to the other feature. So I have to carefully scroll a bit to make sure the ”Back” button isn’t sitting over somethign else, and then have to wait for it to fade back up to be active….very tedious! Theremust be a simpler way to go “Back” that I am missing….. we got any young people here?

Doign all this on the iPad of course - should have said that….

Yep, noticed the same. I think the app (also known as a PWA or "Progressive Web App") is good, but not great, I would say better than nothing but lots of room for improvement. It's just part of the software, there were no plans to bring any kind of app and we don't have much control over it except perhaps the theme to some extent.

This is on my list of things to look at today, we have limitations that have to be considered, this is a theme that has to be updated with the software updates so things could start breaking. More to consider than just changing a color but we have some options, on it!
THANKS! appreciate all you do to keep us connected.

I can see that a lot of you guys need a young daughter or grand-daughter. When something is not working right, I get one of my daughters to fix it for me, particularly on the iphone. There are many different swipes and presses that do magic things, almost none of which are documented, sadly. BTW, I've been doing IT for 40 years, and still prefer a config file. :ROFLMAO:

While I've already previously adjusted the font size a bit I just made some subtle changes to colors in light and dark modes, should help.

While I've already previously adjusted the font size a bit I just made some subtle changes to colors in light and dark modes, should help.
I see the improvements, but it still seems the change in color of a "button" when the mouse pointer is hovering over it is still a bit subtle. Thanks for all of this tuning.

Back