What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying with the Feds

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Or at least, with the new procedures guy in the tower. His last day working the microphones was yesterday, after 29 years, and today, he's got a desk job. I took him up so that he could see ADS-B in the cockpit.

There were a number of things that FAA training had not conveyed to him:
* Airborne ADS-B does not indicate what kind of airplane is shown on the display, and that's why pilots sometimes ask for N# confirmation of the traffic.
* He did not know about UAT and anonymous mode
* On his side of the cockpit, I displayed simultaneously (two windows in one screen) the semi-radar screen traffic display and also traffic displayed over a map. He could see the limitations of each.
* I talked about altitude bands, and how incoming airliners could be on tower frequency but not displayed as they were outside the band.
* He was impressed by the relative target track display
* He didn't know about LPV approaches and what the obscure meaning of "precision approach" is. Nor how WAAS worked and its limitations.
* I also showed him the book legal but never taught markings of the movement area boundary along the ramp.

I learned some things, too. Coming in, approach handed us over to tower without clearing us for the approach. When I called in to tower, I told them our position and that we were assigned an altitude. Most tower controllers don't have the training to clear for the approach, but he recognized the tower controller's voice and knew that he was certified on radar and hence could clear us.

I may not get a chance to fly any of the line controllers as the tower is understaffed, but it was a good experience for us both. And I know he's going to share lessons learned with his staff.

Last edited:
I’m surprised at the last two. Lots of pilots don’t know about the non-movement areas (partly because of the bad use of common English) but I thought the controllers did. And I’m really surprised that he didn’t know about LPV approaches, unless KSAV doesn’t have any? OTOH almost no one understands how LPV approaches can be used ‘in lieu of’ precision approaches, on check rides, while technically not being precision approaches. :)

Some CFIs are not teaching this? That is some pretty basic stuff

No, these are obscure markings. At the last FAA runway safety meeting at the airport, they showed their standard video on know your airport markings. These were not in the video.

I’m surprised at the last two. Lots of pilots don’t know about the non-movement areas (partly because of the bad use of common English) but I thought the controllers did. And I’m really surprised that he didn’t know about LPV approaches, unless KSAV doesn’t have any? OTOH almost no one understands how LPV approaches can be used ‘in lieu of’ precision approaches, on check rides, while technically not being precision approaches. :)

The airport has four LPV approaches, but the controllers only know them as GPS approaches. LPV is not in their vocabulary. After all, there are multiple kinds of GPS approaches to the same runway.

As for the movement area boundaries, they are a mile from the tower. He just didn't know the obscure markings at the edge of the movement area.

Some CFIs are not teaching this? That is some pretty basic stuff

I was not taught that, back in '99 when I got my PPL. I learned about it later when I fired up at an airport to taxi to the pumps, and called tower for taxi clearance and got the explanation from them.

Back