What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying in to the Los Angeles County Airshow (Fox Field) 2014

I guess next, the Chicago Auto Show will not allow arrivals by car to avoid the traffic and CO2 damage. :eek:

I learned to fly at Fox Field, and here's why there was no fly-in traffic for the Airshow: There was absolutely no ramp space available:

LACAS-Ramp-Layout1.jpg

The Red area is set aside for the airshow. The Green box is only possibility for General Aviation parking (green dots mark the taxiway to it)...but it too is being used for recovering aircraft. The Tanker Base (fire-fighting) is not even an option. The green zig-zag shows where the West Coast Ravens are staged....

Unless they put in another paved ramp, I just don't see where they can put fly-in traffic, Rosie

Last edited:
All,
I flew into Fox Field as a West Coast Raven spare. After I saw the ramp and the people around with unlimited access to the area, I got scared. We ended parking the 2 spares on the airfield side of the fence. That was at 0830 this morning. By noon you could barely walk due to the mass amount of people.

Short version. Your plane would have been destroyed by the crowd if you flew in. They were not set up for it.

Today the organizers had a helicopter fly up and down the runway taking pictures of the crowd so they could figure out how to expand areas for next year?s show.

By the way, the Ravens did awesome.

Axel is spot on. We wanted to pump up the enthusiasm for the show, since it was a Blues show in (or near) a major metro area with a large RV population. The lack of ramp parking was frustrating, and the organizers know it. They had 4 months from first call to set up the show, to curtain call...a huge elephant to eat in a short time. It was the inaugural show, and is a potentially great venue (flight test central...and some amazing aviation history here!). Everyone is hoping it's the first of many to come!

As Axel said, yesterday we had 2 planes in the pseudo static display area, and they were surrounded by folks in what turned out to be an unregulated spectator area. Wrong side of the fence to be on with 40,000 fans in attendance! And today we had 80K fans there...so we got the spares show-side of the fence today, and the organizer is working to fix it for next year (with aerial intel photos etc, as Ax said). There seems to be room...just a matter of annexing it properly.

Here's what the fence line looked like today...imagine parking inside the fence! :eek:
image.jpg

So, although the show was really great overall, it had a few first year growing pains (ground traffic was horrendous too...OK, it's LA, that's redundant, eh!)

But the acts were great, the support teams were great, and the show should become a go-to event. We sure want to come back and perform again! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Just a thought. Invite private planes to attend Wed or Thurs. And then leave. There was plenty to watch on both days. Beat the crowds, everyone benefits. I really enjoyed it. Would not be difficult to plan in 12 months. This year, not so easy with 4 months window.

West Coast Ravens at Los Angeles County Airshow 2014

Finally found a nice picture of the Ravens :) Rosie

LACO_Airshow_2014.jpg

Back