What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floor

whpilot

What is the best thing to use on the floor under the pilot's feet? I can't find anything in the plans.

Thanks, Walt

Padded carpet such that you can buy custom fit from Classic Aero.

The padding helps with noise and vibration.

Good question! I was really concerned about this at the step two because it seems like my feet are basically sitting on the outside skin, which they are! With my interior kit, which is full carpet. It came with some very lightweight foam to fill in the gaps between the stringers and then the carpet on top and it leaves a very finished look and as the second poster said, does hamper the noise or at least should once I get my engine installed :)
I have seen some RVs put some other material down on the floor for structure and soundproofing and there’s a number of links on the site talking about what type of material they used everything from aluminum to carbon fiber to foam. Whatever you choose to do be careful of fire hazards And don’t be concerned about the structure of the floor. It is quite tough! I would highly recommend at least floor mats or some sort of carpet to keep the noise down as the drumming on the floor seems to be a problem in a lot of peoples RVs.

The builder of my -6 added some angles to the stringers, and screwed floor plates to them on the inside, making a flat floor in front of the pilot and passenger. The same screws with larger washers under the heads hold down a piece of carpet on each side. You lose about 1/2" of height from the space between the floor and the panel (which you'll never miss), you get a flat floor, and you'll never be loading your outside skin.

During one of my annual inspections I cut pieces of sound-deadening foam and placed it in the bays below the screwed-in panel. That cut the noise even further, but I will probably replace it with some glass-fiber-based insulation instead to better guard against heat from the nearby exhaust at the front.

Back