What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap ram rotating

had a problem with my flaps on my rv10 sticking at 50% when retracting. If they were helped by hand they stowed ok.
When i exposed the flap motor i could see that the flap motor ram was rotating/twisting on the olive joint. While not much this was enough to spoil the alignment of the positioner rod with the microswitch so that the microswitch didnt feel the indents on the positioner rod when retracting.
The ram only twists by 5-10deg but this is enough to cause the issue.

Pics attached of it dropping and retracting and if you look at the rose joint you will see the twist.

I solved my issue by rotating the positioner slightly but its not ideal.

Is it normal for the ram to twist or is my flap motor on the way out?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127-002506_Photos_Original.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127-002506_Photos_Original.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot_20231127-002518_Photos_Original.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127-002518_Photos_Original.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 167
Mine twists a few degrees and it is new (never flown). Looks as though you have the Show Planes flap positioner (manual here) . If so, the microswitches can be replaced or moved slightly to compensate for wear.

had a problem with my flaps on my rv10 sticking at 50% when retracting. If they were helped by hand they stowed ok.
When i exposed the flap motor i could see that the flap motor ram was rotating/twisting on the olive joint. While not much this was enough to spoil the alignment of the positioner rod with the microswitch so that the microswitch didnt feel the indents on the positioner rod when retracting.
The ram only twists by 5-10deg but this is enough to cause the issue.

Pics attached of it dropping and retracting and if you look at the rose joint you will see the twist.

I solved my issue by rotating the positioner slightly but its not ideal.

Is it normal for the ram to twist or is my flap motor on the way out?

I don't have evidence on whether ram twist is normal.

At about the 9 year point, my flap positioner also stopped feeling the indents during retraction. I bought a new microswitch box from Showplanes on their recommendation. Fixed the problem.

Back