What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap position indicator

Coling955

Has anyone used a Ray Allen position indicator sensor to indicate flap position? I've got a flap positioning system from Showplaces installed but I want to add a position indicator to the panel. I think the Ray Allen POS-12 sensor plus the trim indicator lights (I didn't use it on my elevator trim set up because it feeds into the EFIS trim position display) should work. Has anyone fitted a RAC POS-12 sensor and if so do they have a photo of the installation? Alternative suggestions welcome. Thanks.

That's a really neat solution. Have noted your point about using the search function. Thanks for your help Scroll. Colin (UK)

Will this help?

Image.jpg

I ended up just making a 30 deg bracket as the rotation does not have significant non-linearity from stop to stop.

Here is the connection to the tube. It had to be modified to allow a radius adjustment (shortened over the top of the weld) to keep travel from exceeding the sensor limits. This was GEN I.

Image%2B1.jpg

Dont use the full travel of the sensor!

Hi

Just done that.

Dont use the first and last 10% of the travel only use the middle 70-80%!

Check with an ohm-meter, how the resistor value is changing. You will see, that at the ends, the value does not change anymore.

So if you are using 100% of travel, then you will have in the beginning and in the end of the travel a "dead zone" where the value does not change, but the flap is moving furter.

Hi

Just done that.

Check with an ohm-meter, how the resistor value is changing. You will see, that at the ends, the value does not change anymore.

So if you are using 100% of travel, then you will have in the beginning and in the end of the travel a "dead zone" where the value does not change, but the flap is moving furter.

I hope your wrong, only because I just took my fuse off the rotisary and on to the gear last night, uggg, so are you confirming this with a 5 V supply, and just wondering if the Dynon calibration setup will work this out? I think I went to 3-5 % play at the end of travel.......

My humble opinion

I installed one on my RV-4 and put the indicator in a group with my elevator and aileron trim indicators, all centrally located in a console..Man, I thought they looked cool, and how easy it would be to see. In reallity, I wished I had not gone to all the trouble, and just left all of them out. The RV is small, and my head/eyes are always outside where they need to be flying an RV. I can see my aileron tab, flaps and even elevator if I need (except at night,which I don't do often). I have flaps and trim all on my MAC stick, so when Im in the pattern looking at the runway, I can just thumb my flaps down/up and watch their position. I have little "TIC marks" that line up with the T/E skin if I want to be critical of settings. Easy cheesy.

Hi

Just done that.

I hope your wrong, only because I just took my fuse off the rotisary and on to the gear last night, uggg, so are you confirming this with a 5 V supply, and just wondering if the Dynon calibration setup will work this out? I think I went to 3-5 % play at the end of travel.......

The big reason I did not use the full travel was hitting the stops and damaging the sensor, it is not untypical of electronics to adjust to the "stopped" condition - even it it did not hit the mechanical end.

Since you asked for alternatives, I'll give you my 2 cents. I too installed the Ray-Allen (MAC?) back in 1998-99. Much as shown above with a lightweight custom bracket. Originally, I had the LED display on the side panel (-8). But since transitioning to the D100/120, I never use it. Removed the LED displays as well. Flap pos is not in any of my Dynon screen rotations currently. Aileron and elevator are.

Last edited:
I see it's been removed from the home page. I just did a "flap" search on there parts order page and the 14 flap position kit was the first part on the list. $42

I see it's been removed from the home page. I just did a "flap" search on there parts order page and the 14 flap position kit was the first part on the list. $42

Thanks. I found that too, after searching the parts list. $42 for a bracket seems a bit much. I'll be making one.

I installed mine as I had seen done on this forum. The last 10% of travel each way is not used.

FP25102015A00036.jpg

Back