What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap handle vs. Detent bracket

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
Hello All,
Has anyone had any issues with the "slot" in the flap handle not being exactyly in the right spot in regards with the Detent Bracket? Even without the spring and fork assembly being inserted in the flap handle, the detent bracket hangs up on the slot and is not allowed to freely move in and out....hope that makes sense. I believe I will have to lengthen the slot about 3/8" to allow free movement but kind of nervous in making the cut. In order for mine to work properly now, I have to place 2 washers under the rear screws to place the detent bracket at a different angle and thus move in and out through the slot.
Does anyone have any pictures showing how the bracket and slot are suppose to align.
Thank you for your help.:eek:

Hey Steve

Did you make the spacer plates to elevate the handle assembly prior to trying it ?

John Bender

Picture

Thanks for the picture. When I zoom into your photo I can see the clearance that I should have. I'll call Van's tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the help.

Steve,

I live in Granbury. Paris isn't that far. Maybe sometime in the near future I can fly up and let you take a look at mine.

Pete

XS30 Pvt airport.

That would be great. I actually live on Burress (XS30) Pvt airpark just southwest of Paris Cox field. It is 2500' long turf runway, regardless of what the sectional says. You're always welcome to fly in and visit, or I can meet you at Cox if you prefer.

inverted

Make sure you did not put the two nylon blocks that hold the flap handle upside down. It is possible to put them in upside down and the flap handle just does not quite fit right.

Yep...upside down

Thank you RDOG for bringing that to my attention. Just a stupid mistake on my part. By having the blocks orientated the correct direction, it must make them lower and therefore move the flap handle lower which should resolve my issue. I will post again after I figure how to remove the flap handle without having to remove all the pushrods and cranks.
Thanks again, Steve

All corrected and working

I've corrected my mistake and the flap handle works as advertised. I was able to flip the blocks without removing any pushrods ....yea! Thanks again for the assistance. Steve :D

Back