What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap drilling

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I have the wings in a wing stand. I would like to fit the flaps in the stand. I see a few logs that show photos of others doing the same.

What is the best way to fix the flap in place? I have the aileron in correct position with tape and the jig at the wing bellcrank. I think I’ll be using cleco clamps on the hinge bracket but what other support or items are helpful to keeep it in position while drilling?

Turns out the green wrap movers use is pretty good for making a support under the flap. That and a clamp on each end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 40
I had a little spring steel lock tool that is used to rekey Kwikset locks. I bent it and it worked great to pull the hinge tight for drilling.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 32
On the wind side of the hinge I drew the 3/16 min line and the 1/4 target line. Was able to see at every hole I was above the min distance with the standard hinge width.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 27
I remembered that I fitted the flap with the wing laying flat on the workbench. It made it much easier to do it this way instead of mounting with the wing vertical in the stand

Back