What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First mistake!

bearair

Okay, I got through the horizontal and vertical stabs fairly painlessly. Got working on the rudder last night, and I cut the wrong ends of some of the stiffeners thinking that all the holes were evenly spaced. I had cut 4 stiffeners (bottom one was correct) before I realized the holes didn't line up perfectly. I had been cutting them to length using the bottom one as a pattern for the long tapered end, and totally didn't realize the holes had a longer interval about halfway down the stiffener. I was just cutting them and laying them in their positions before clecoing so didn't catch it right away. The instructions don't mention this, but after looking closely at the plans, there is a note towards the bottom stiffener that says to cut the front end of the stiffeners to length. So, lesson learned: Read the instructions, and then read all the little notes on the plans as well! Ordered 3 more 915 stiffeners from Vans today, and ordered some pro-seal since I'm getting close to needing it anyway.

At least the lesson only cost $14 to prove I'm human!

Read the plans

bearair said:
So, lesson learned: Read the instructions, and then read all the little notes on the plans as well! ... At least the lesson only cost $14 to prove I'm human!
You've got the right attitude! So many of my mistakes were clearly apparent after I read the plans a bit more closely. There is a lot of great information on the plans, and studying them before, during, and after each step will help you avoid mistakes.

I've also found that doing as many "test fits" as possible helps a lot, too.

RScott said:
I build, therefore I screw up.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Wings

So true!

I just spend the last two days remaking, match drilling, etc. some replacement parts and I'm 1500 hours into this thing.

One of these days I'm going to pile up all the trashed parts and post a picture of them.

I look at it this way, if it wasn't for the trashed parts I would have to actually buy some scrap aluminum to make some of the custom parts I'm using.

Back