What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight HB-YNN

Michael Wellenzohn

Well Known Member
Sponsor
That grin won't vanish or wash away, since I took my HB-YNN yesterday evening to the air. The flight took place in Birrfeld LSZF in Switzerland. It has been a wonderful first flight with beautiful weather and great view of the Alps. Bernie flew chase in his RV-7A. After almost 8 years of building she flies beautifully well balanced controls, all engine parameters in the green and so much power :)
I stayed over the field at 4500' surrounded by airspace TMA & CTR of Zürich Airport I had to stay alert not to violate them as the RV-10 is quite fast compared to the Cardinal I used to fly.
Find attached some pictures, the full set is on my website www.wellenzohn.net

Thanks to my wonderful wife who supported me all the years and my friends who were never shy of helping. Special thanks to Davis Maib in Florida, who gave me a great transition training so I felt at home in my aircraft almost immediately after take-off. For those who are still pounding rivets, its so worth it to get this unique rush of endorphins and joy from the first flight just keep on the good work.
I might be the first Austrian who built an RV-10 and the second to fly in Switzerland.

Cheers
Michael

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_1679.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_1759.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

Congratulations! That's a beautiful airplane. I hope that you and your family enjoy many hours of flying and have lots of great adventures throughout that lovely region. I haven't been to Zurich in many years but from what I remember of the area the views from up above in the air must be quite spectacular! :)

Michael congrats. The plane and the grin look great. That grin should stay around full quite a while. Enjoy the ride

Geoff

Congratulations!

Excellent job on a beautiful airplane and a successful first flight.
By the looks of your happy family you'll have plenty of use for all the seats in your new RV-10.

Herzlichen Gl?ckwunsch!

Hi Michael - great work, beautiful aircraft, congratulations!

+1

Like everyone said, congratulations to you and your family. I'm sure you will enjoy it, especially flying in such a beautiful place.

Congratulations!!

Michael, congrats on the new fledgling.

Here is an RV grin if I ever saw one.

Vans needs to use this in their calendar and advertising.

DSC_0284.jpg

Front page tomorrow I'll wager-----or the kiss one :D

Last edited:
Very big congratulations to you Michael. Your airplane is stunning! It is great to see that big RV Grin on you.
Best to you and your family and say hello to Fabian.,

Well done!

Congratulations and well done! You are now a member of a very small and exclusive club, and you earned it. Your plane is gorgeous and your family is beautiful. They look like just the right age for an RV-10. I'll go out on a limb and make a prediction...you're really gonna love that plane!

do u know emil??

i have a friend in freienwil switzerland seems to know all pilots over there, thought u may know him. great look n 10. i have a RV 6, put over 1000 hrs on it, great plane. i,ve ha lots of planes and i like the RV best of all. gary allen mt. juliet, tennessee

do u know emil??

i have a friend in freienwil switzerland seems to know all pilots over there, thought u may know him. great look n 10. i have a RV 6, put over 1000 hrs on it, great plane. i,ve ha lots of planes and i like the RV best of all. gary allen mt. juliet, tennessee emile rollin?? sorry i left his name off.

Congrats

I can attest that the plane looks indeed terrific, both in plain sight and from below.

David: I was at the first flight and took pictures. My own -10 is soon to start!

Regards,

Fabian

Congratulations Michael!!
I wish you many hours of safe flying in your very nice RV10. One thing I can tell you is that it is just getting better and better over time. I find myself wondering when I can fly it again the moment I have put ZU-RVI back in the hangar.:)

Congrats

Great job Michael.

Beautiful 10....love the paint scheme. Great to have the support of your wife isn't it? Nothing like a family project complete to enjoy!

Michael,
Congratulations to you and your family on completing your RV10. I have built two airplanes now and can attest to the commitment that the whole family has made in order to accomplish the project. Now go out and fly and take your family places that heretofor were not practical.

By the way, your plane is beautiful.

Safe travels,
Bernie Weiss
N527DB

Well performed Michael! Outstanding paint job. Years of enjoyment ahead congratulations!

Congratulations Michael! The plane looks beautiful. Great paint job. You'll have a great time ahaed.

Hans-Dieter
Germany

obviously i have to go on record here as well ;-)

CONGRATULATIONS for an awesome first flight.

weather couldn't have been better and michi did a fantastic job!

the rv10, almost empty sure has lots of performance... had a hard time catching up, once he was able to put some air between us during acceleration etc...

now i wish you a successful test flight phase with many trouble-free hours :)

bernie

Thanks for all the nice wishes and words. I logged already 5 h on the RV and everything works well. Only one issue occured and this is a bigger one, the right tank leaks out of the vent line, meaning somebody who built my qb tanks didn't tighten the nut on the AN fitting :mad:

I'll check the posts if there is a fix without removing the tank, else the nice paintjob won't be as nice anymore.

Cheers
Michael

Back