What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight HB-YMT 04.08.2010 RV-7A

flyvans.com

Well Known Member
To all of you on VAF:

We're proud to announce that our RV-7A succesfully flew its maiden and second flight today at Birrfeld (LSZF) airfield in Switzerland.
The awesome event was captured by several cameras, so expect an update soon, featuring pictures and video.

The feeling is beyond description and so worth every minute it took to get there!
Both flights went perfect, with the landings being nice and maingear first but flying can still be improved by a little earlier rotation and more flare at touchdown.

First flight was flown by Bernie, followed by cowl removal / inspection and a second flight with building partner Alex as "flight test engineer" ;-)

The only squawks were a seeping oil cooler fitting (which didn't show up during various ground runs and only lost a few drops of oil overall) and an aileron trim that went to max right once, which we suspect could be related to control stick wiring.

check the website www.flyvans.com for an update in the following days. will also update the thread with pictures and videos as soon as they're online.

rgds from a grinning
bernie

EDIT: Here's a teaser pic with the famous RV-grin, immediately after first flight, Bernie and building partner Alex cheering!

DSC_0304.jpg

Picture courtesy RV-10 builder Michael Wellenzohn

Last edited:
Congratulations to a successful first flight and best wishes for many more safe flights in the future from an old expat and RV7A driver!!!

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

Fantastic job fellas. How do you stay, as you say on your website, 'medium weight europeans' eating a pizza each and I hope some **** good beer to boot?

Take your time systematically learning your plane. Hope to see you guys at a field somewhere in this world someday.

Great job!

Congrats, gents! Looking forward to seeing it fly in person!

Congrats

Congratulation for taking this outstanding aircraft to the skies! Hope to see it flying in the months to come...

Gratulation. Wirklich Klasse! Ich hoffe das es zukuenftig noch viel mehr RV's in der Schweiz geben wird. Viel Spass mit eurem Flieger...

Kay

Way to go Bernie!!!!

I am so pleased it all went well. I don't think I have ever seen a wider grin. Beers are on me next time we meet.

Inselaffe.

Congrats again

Hey Bernie
like the picture, wonder who took it ;-)
I'll post more if that's ok with you.

Always happy landings!
Mike

Back