What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Fuel Penetration for Fuel Injection?

BillL

Well Known Member
I bought an in process RV7 that had been prepared for a carb with a gascolator installed. I decided for fuel injection over the carb. It is time to install the high pressure fuel pump for the FI. I have a Vans sourced IO-360 M1B standing by. I have looked at drawing OP32 that shows a different firewall penetration point for injected fuel supply.

So . . it seems there are three options:

1. Remove gascolator, plug the hole in firewall and install the patch and hole per OP-32.
(this avoids special fuel hose and routing. )

2. Remove gascolator and install bulkhead fitting and run fuel hose over to that point on the firewall.
( can the hose be routed here?)

3. Leave gascolator in place and connect to engine.
(This has more points to leak, more pressure drop when pump is off, and more opportunity for heat collection with the additional surface area and residence time of fuel in the gascolator. Not fond of possibility of fuel delivery issues and vapor lock)

Who has done any of these and what were your results? Please Help!!

I would do either #1 or #2, depending a number of factors. I would not opt for #3 ...simplest is best.

I agree - 1 or 2.

Van's does not recommend a gascolator but, if you use one, use the high pressure type, not the low pressure type typically used for carb systems.

Thanks

. . . for the feedback, the gascolator is out. I will probably just go with the "plan" location. Next, to decide where the fuel flow meter goes.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Option #1 and use the doubler for the new location per OP-32. The FWF hose then fits right out of the box saving you from making a custom one or finding on that is the proper length...

OP32

I'm in the same boat. I was going to put a bulkhead fitting thru the doubler that Van installed for the facet pump on the carbed install and call it good.

I'm unfamiliar with the plan designation OP32. Is this in the standard plan set?

Thanks,
Mark

I did as Grezdlitn did. Works great, but keep the opening as high in the doubler as you can. It makes the piping connection on the aft side of the f'wall easier. that doublerr is small enough, there's not a lot of room to elbow the fuel line up from the cabin floor.

Back