What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire extinguisher or Not?

Prepperpilot

Well Known Member
Did major avionics upgrade and cleaned up cockpit. Was convinced to remove the dinky fire extinguisher that came with airplane.
Trying to decide if that's a good idea or not.
It is hard to imagine that I am going to put out a fire while flying? Or on the ground for that matter. These small units you might get 1 or 2 sweeps.
Thoughts??

I have always carried a little extinguisher in my airplanes, not because I think I'm likely to be able to put out an engine compartment fire, but rather for the possibility that I might need to deal with a brake fire. That scenario at least seems like something I might be able to extinguish myself if I act quickly, but could be likely to consume the airplane if I had to wait for help to arrive. If you search the Cirrus forums there are plenty of stories about this - Cirrus drivers are always taxiing too fast, I guess. :)

Last edited:
KEEP IT! Hand-held fire extinguishers are very effective… even small ones (though bigger is better!). I have seen some remarkable saves in my career by civilians using portable extinguishers. While I agree that there is little chance of using one in the air, knocking down an engine compartment (or brake) fire on yours, or another’s airplane makes it worthwhile. One may be at the run-up area… and not near hangers or other locations where a fire extinguisher could otherwise be found. Slowing or knocking down a fire may keep the fire from spreading to adjacent aircraft or throughout a hanger. You may also buy time for others to retrieve additional extinguishers.

Don’t make the mistake of blasting the nose from 20 feet away! Coating the exterior cowling is not a good technique. After shut-down, use short blasts directly in the air intakes. And also importantly, reach underneath by the exhaust and blast up into the lower cowling. It’s not going to explode like the movies!

If you appear to have knockdown, open oil dipstick door and have a peek. If possible get the upper cowling off to look for anything still smoldering.

If you’re in a hanger, absolutely try an extinguisher immediately. But if you can’t get a knockdown and your initial extinguisher is empty, pull the chocks and shove that sucker out the door! Your neighbors will appreciate it! Don’t wait for backup or run around looking for more extinguishers.

Last edited:
Just don’t discharge an ABC extinguisher in an occupied aircraft. Blindness or asphyxiation is likely to result. Only Halon may be used inside of a cockpit.

Do you guys recommend a big box Halon unit. Just noticed one in the airplane was 10yrs old. Nothing too big 7-9in length wise? Aircraft spruce is asking $150 and up. But a lawyer is attached to that price for sure

Your unit may be serviceable. Took my Amerex Model A344 halon in for its 6-year service and was pleasantly surprised at the reasonableness of the cost (Elite Fire over by KCMH, btw, since you are also in central Ohio).

Keep it! Big fires start from small fires. Sure, a small one can't extinguish everything, but could it buy you time to get on the ground or get out, yes?

A year or so ago a friend was doing some work on his panel and didn't realize that an Aerosport Products carbon fiber panel that he had removed was touching the circuit breaker (one of the hot bus bars) and something aluminum that was on the airframe ground return circuit. He also didn't realize that if you apply a current across a carbon fiber part, it will burst into flames. Having a halon extinguisher installed in a bracket in the cabin probably saved his airplane - he only needed to replace that carbon fiber piece and a couple of circuit breakers.

Did major avionics upgrade and cleaned up cockpit. Was convinced to remove the dinky fire extinguisher that came with airplane.
It is hard to imagine that I am going to put out a fire while flying? Or on the ground for that matter. These small units you might get 1 or 2 sweeps.
Thoughts??

Do US regulations mandate carrying a fire extinguisher?
In Canada where we seem to have a regulation for everything...

CARS
549.13 Equipment and Instruments
(a) Equipment
(4) A portable fire extinguisher, appropriate for use in aircraft.

I have depended on seat belts, helmets, life jackets, and fire extinguishers. I'm keeping all of them. your choice.:eek:, haven't needed an epirb/elt yet but have one.

Do US regulations mandate carrying a fire extinguisher?
In Canada where we seem to have a regulation for everything...

CARS
549.13 Equipment and Instruments
(a) Equipment
(4) A portable fire extinguisher, appropriate for use in aircraft.

I think fractional owner programs under part 91 but otherwise I don't think so

Fire bottle....

Keep it! Big fires start from small fires. Sure, a small one can't extinguish everything, but could it buy you time to get on the ground or get out, yes?

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I watched as a close friend primmed her C-150 to start it and there was gas dripping out of the lower cowl. One friendly backfire set that fuel on the ground on fire. In that instance it was just a matter of quickly pushing the airplane away from the small conflagration and then making sure nothing inside the cowl was involved as well. Had it gotten too much worse, a fire bottle would have been needed which was in the hangar 5 feet from where I was standing. Simple things can occasionally get complex....:eek:

I have a small Halon bottle in SuzieQ under my right leg (left hand jerking the canopy open, right hand grabbing the fire bottle) and one in the Cub.....:)

I have had two halon bottles since the first flight. in my rv-10, they are in the corner where the seat pan and the tunnel intersect. I recently had to upgrade to a larger unit, since the smallest bottle had leak problems and is no longer produce. Even with the size increase, they are still tucked behind the inside leg of both occupants.

I’ve been fortunate in that I haven’t needed them, but I know others that weren’t so fortunate. Like others have said, when you need one, you better have one handy.

I've always had an extinguisher in the RV-6, first a small halon then an ABC (as a last resort) when the halon timed out. But I recently replaced the ABC with an Element extinguisher. I wouldn't discharge it in the plane because it releases for about 45 seconds but it should be quite effective for a fueling or brake fire. It doesn't leave a corrosive residue and has no expiration date.

https://elementfire.com/

hand_man_left_600PXwide.jpg

Sam, you beat me to it - I second the Element Fire. I have the E50 in each of my vehicles. However, I would discharge in the aircraft if needed.

Not only is it not corrosive, you can inhale the discharge as it's not toxic, although my personal experience shows you will be coughing - however, it's much better to cough than to burn. And they are easy to use and have almost a minute (50 seconds) of discharge.

Thoughts??

If you've ever had a fire right in front of you - 50 seconds is a very long time and more than enough time to get many passes on the base of the fire - or at least aim in the direction you think it's coming from.

I've never used a fire extinguisher in an airplane, but I have used the E50 in a car. It was an electrical fire under the dash of a '68 Mustang. I recommend having one - maybe two. The nice thing about the E50 is that they are compact and easily mounted out the way, but within reach. They have a very long life with, as Sam noted, no stated expiration date.

It's a low cost, easy to use item; much like lighting a road flare. I have two mounted with Elements quick clips in the RV; one in reach of the pilot, and the other under the rear seat brace that either passenger can grab.

I include location and operation of these as part of my pre-flight briefing.

Sam, you beat me to it - I second the Element Fire. I have the E50 in each of my vehicles. However, I would discharge in the aircraft if needed.

Not only is it not corrosive, you can inhale the discharge as it's not toxic, although my personal experience shows you will be coughing - however, it's much better to cough than to burn. And they are easy to use and have almost a minute (50 seconds) of discharge.

If you've ever had a fire right in front of you - 50 seconds is a very long time and more than enough time to get many passes on the base of the fire - or at least aim in the direction you think it's coming from.

I've never used a fire extinguisher in an airplane, but I have used the E50 in a car. It was an electrical fire under the dash of a '68 Mustang. I recommend having one - maybe two. The nice thing about the E50 is that they are compact and easily mounted out the way, but within reach. They have a very long life with, as Sam noted, no stated expiration date.

It's a low cost, easy to use item; much like lighting a road flare. I have two mounted with Elements quick clips in the RV; one in reach of the pilot, and the other under the rear seat brace that either passenger can grab.

I include location and operation of these as part of my pre-flight briefing.

Excellent data point, thank you!

Back