What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing kit help

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I got my finishing kit and many of the parts required to get the canopy started are on backorder.

What could I do next instead (in the finishing kit) that is out of order but not an issue without a canopy?

Just went through this while I was waiting for backordered parts. Things I did:

1. Installed engine mount
  2. installed main and nose gear, wheels, brakes
  3. did gear leg and wheel fairings
  4. hung engine, did cowl (obviously have to have an engine to do this one)
  5. Other FWF -- exhaust, baffles, wiring, etc.

You can do avionics as well if you haven't already (I did mine before my fuse kit and it worked out ok).

Canopy parts got here before I ran out of other stuff to do. The canopy is a little more annoying to do with the gear on (because of the extra height), and the engine gets in the way a little, but it's not terrible.

Thanks for the reply. I have one main wheel fairing and don’t have the nose wheel fairing at all.

How long did you wait for the back ordered parts?

Finishing

Thanks for the reply. I have one main wheel fairing and don’t have the nose wheel fairing at all.

I don't see if it's slider or tipper.
The canopy weldment and roll bar fitting take some time. I ordered mine bare. I fit them then had them powder coated the color I wanted.
Fitting the engine mount and locating all the firewall holes is another option.
Installing all the stuff behind the panel while the top skin is off
Fit the top skin and sub panels
Just some ideas.

Ordered finish kit Feb 2022, final paid April 2023, kit shipped with backorders end of August 2023, got the last of the canopy related backorders in early October. Still have one backordered part (U-00020-PC), but I see that's listed in stock on the web store, so hopefully any day now.

I don't see if it's slider or tipper.
The canopy weldment and roll bar fitting take some time. I ordered mine bare. I fit them then had them powder coated the color I wanted.
Fitting the engine mount and locating all the firewall holes is another option.
Installing all the stuff behind the panel while the top skin is off
Fit the top skin and sub panels
Just some ideas.

Larry I’m building a slider. We are basically building the same plane.

On back order are the spacers for the roll bar and the roller attachments for the main weldement. Pretty much steps one and two.

Last edited:
Finishing

Larry I’m building a slider. We are basically building the same plane.

On back order are the spacers for the roll bar and the roller attachments for the main weldement. Pretty much steps one and two.

I can't remember where the spacers go.
Just a few more items..
How about the slider tracks? Some builders fit them then have them powder coated or anodized before installing.
SuperTracks if planned. Powder coat or anodize.
If SuperTracks, also fabricate and fit a longer aft deck canopy track. Powder coat or anodize
ADAHRS shelf
Static ports & plumbing
Pitch Servo mount
NACA vents
Control columns
Roll trim servo
Crotch belt mount

Back