What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finish Kit Suprises

Phantom30

Well Known Member
I thought "all" was included in our kits (excluding tank sealent, etc.). When inventorying my kit I was surprised not to find the fibercloth for canopy set up. Where to buy and how much????? That is the question!

what and where to buy?

The thread mentioned is a good one. I'm going to go back thru it and make a list of future needs, sources, manual references, etc. So I'll be ready.

Back to your question Ric, there are a number of threads about fiberglass materials and techniques in the forums. As you might expect they span a range of favorite materials, tools, epoxy systems, opinions, and gripes. Heck, you'd almost thing it had some "primer" it it! <grin>.

After all the forum reading, I went back and read the -12 plans so I could remember what my question was. Ended up using their recommended materials except for the fiberglass fabric itself. Couldn't find 9oz regular so I got 8.something oz BID, the so-called "Rutan" cloth from Aircraft Spruce.

Only caution with the BID is that it "lays all over the place". Very easy to stretch and distort the shape of the piece you just cut out so carefully. My solution (I read it in these forums) was to cut it out on plastic wrap, leave it there and immediately wet it out. The adhesion prevents if from moving around much while you pick it up and lay it in place. Then slowly and carefully peel it away and replace it with Peel Ply (dacron fabric) if you're not going to put another layer on that day.

Last lesson learned: Plan ahead and order as much as you can at once, otherwise the shipping charges will cost more than the plane!

Have fun,

Dave

Last edited:
Back