What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filling oil cooler with oil

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Not sure if it is an OWT but I remember reading somewhere air can get trapped in the oil cooler and reducing its cooling efficiency.
My oil cooler flows horizontally (left to right), not vertically. Both inlet and outlet are at the top of the cooler. I have the 2007 oil cooler, one size up from the standard.
Any special way to pre-fill the oil cooler?
Does it matter?
Can air get into oil cooler during normal operation, like after oil drain or sitting for some time and ail draining out of the passages?
Thank you.
Johan

Don't worry

The engine oil pump will be sufficient to purge any trapped air, don't overthink this.

Wish But

Not to be a wish butt, but there was a recent thread on this. The conclusion I took away was that air cant get trapped in an oil cooler if it is filled by spinning the prop (as Lycoming recommends) before first start.
In the thread, people were concerned that spinning the prop to fill would cause trapped air so the suggestion was made to pull a hose and fill it, making a big mess in the process.

If this is a new installation and engine has not been run before, then it is important to prefill oil in the oil gallery. This this would be in the hose comming from the oil cooler. If the oil cooler has been replaced or serviced, yes it is good practice to fill it with oil before start.
You should see oil pressure within 15-20 s, if not turn it off.
Air does not normally get trapped in an oil cooler if installation instructions are followed.

Good luck

The Vernatherm stops oil from flowing around the cooler when the oil temp is low, mostly. There is always a small flow through the cooler. By the time the oil heats up enough to open the Vernatherm (around 180F) the cooler will have filled with oil - as long as the angle of the pipework allows the oil to push the air out. So nothing special required to fill the cooler with oil.

Back