What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass panels

Hello all
Just wondering whet people have done for their RV4 engine cowel access at the top
I wanto make this a lot neater as its not very smooth, and what people use if anything elce other then these little can locks??
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpeg
    IMG_0669.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
I think that’s how you access the hinge pins for the cowling. The screws look like they are on the avionics bay side.
So on a -4 you don't reach the pins from inside the oil door like you do on a -6?
Or someone went off plans?

Here’s mine …

Attachments

• IMG_5215.jpeg
    IMG_5215.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5216.jpeg
    IMG_5216.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 77
Well, that's...........lessee..........what's that word I'm searching for?..............UGLY!!:oops::oops::oops: I'll send you pictures of mine. It is, essentially, a plate with the pin area carved out on the pin side and held in place by two countersunk screws going into nutplates on an aluminum plate next to the hinges. Cowling is currently off so the pictures will be with the cowling off the airplane. Similar looking with the cowl on as in post #8 but two screws. You will have to do some fiberglass work to get that HOLE :oops::rolleyes:covered up..........

Well, that's...........lessee..........what's that word I'm searching for?..............UGLY!!:oops::oops::oops:I'll send you pictures of mine. It is, essentially, a plate with the pin area carved out on the pin side and held in place by two countersunk screws going into nutplates on an aluminum plate next to the hinges. Cowling is currently off so the pictures will be with the cowling off the airplane. Similar looking with the cowl on as in post #8 but two screws. You will have to do some fiberglass work to get that HOLE :oops::rolleyes:covered up..........
Yeah VERY UGLY 😂. I have a bit of tidying up to do with her. Thanks mate that would be a great help

Yeah VERY UGLY 😂. I have a bit of tidying up to do with her. Thanks mate that would be a great help
I just left mine uncovered. I planned to make a flush close-out, but never did. I hardly notice it. Per plans, there is no cut out, and the pins are pulled from the oil door reaching inside. My engine, an O320H2AD , required my oil door in a different location making external pin removable essential.

My engine, an O320H2AD , required my oil door in a different location making external pin removable essential.
Yes we recently discovered that the H2AD’s oil filler location required a bit of a rework of the cowl for our Zenith 801 project!

Hello all
Just wondering whet people have done for their RV4 engine cowel access at the top
I wanto make this a lot neater as its not very smooth, and what people use if anything elce other then these little can locks??
Thanks
The RV12 uses something similar to what you already have But is a flush mount cover that catches the hinge pins. You could easily redo yours to be like the RV12 system and it will look great with very little additional work.
i don’t have any pictures of that but I’m sure someone with an RV12 can post a few pictures of that for you.

Here’s mine …
mine is just like his, except, that i have a little slot that ends of the pins stick through so i can see that the pins are still in place and it stops them from moving at all.

mine is just like his, except, that i have a little slot that ends of the pins stick through so i can see that the pins are still in place and it stops them from moving at all.
Mine is designed so the pins are hidden & restrained …

HFS

Mine is designed so the pins are hidden & restrained …

HFS
As they should be. I too have to make an access panel. Thought I’d save some brain/planning time and asked someone to forward me the page from the RV10 manual. Pic below. That cover (more like a plug) also retains the pins with visible ends sticking out above the cowl. Hard to believe their best designers were involved.

Side note and probably a bit controversial. I used full sized pins and only tapered the extreme ends that go I to the tight radius. Rocket not a 4. The radius is tighter. That said, there’s still more pin D than the undersized Vans pins. These ain’t backing out. If they would, their inherent stiffness would limit the travel at the top end (still would have full engagement). Will have a physical block integral to the plate anyway.
image000000.jpeg

Back