What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fastback option?

billdianne

Patron
Did anybody attend the rv8 forum at oshkosh? Any word on the fastback option that's supposed to follow the matched drilled fuselage?

Do you mean this option? Seen in the RV parking area at Osh.

img4404smallkp2.jpg

Just teasing - haven't heard anything. Could always call the builder.

Pete

Last edited:
I asked one of Van's people at Oshkosh about the rumors of a fastback option coming. He didn't answer my question, just kindof looked at me funny and smiled.

Frustrating

I wish Vans would officially confirm yes or no. I'm very interested in the FB option. I'd be more than happy to put the project on hold and go skydive for a few months while I'm waiting if that was the case...

penguin said:
Do you mean this option? Seen in the RV parking area at Osh.

img4404smallkp2.jpg

Just teasing - haven't heard anything. Could always call the builder.

Pete

That particular RV-8 Fastback was nicely done by the builder, Tom Clark, who can supply you with the plans and materials to make your own 8 a fastback.
You can try his e-mail to find out more about it. [email protected]

My guess is that Van's won't confirm the FB option for the very same reason they didn't pre-announce the new and improved matched punch fuse option before they could ship it: They simply just don't want a hundred RV-8 wing builders to kick back and wait to place their fuse orders and then be over-whelmed with filling the orders when thye begin offering the preferred kit. Not to mention business must go on. I wish I had known about the matched fuse parts as I would have waited, but I understand that they have to announce it sometime (Osh) and as I said; in the mean time business must go on. I would GUESS it may not be thil Osh 07 before the fast back is available.

If your ready for the fuse just buy it and then buy the after-market option from the ones already available. I would think Van's would charge an extra amount for their FB option but who knows.

Chofrock said:
Here is place where you can buy the fast back option.

http://www.showplanes.com/index_1024.htm

I personally like this look a lot better, I only wish they could make a slider option with the fastback. I guess that is something I can do to make mine unique. :)

Tom Clark's Fastback is NOT a tip up, it IS a slider... if you want a fast back that slides, I think he sells the plans and/or parts to make an RV-8 fast back slider.

Back