What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fall trip to Savanna

6ato14a

Well Known Member
I’m thinking of a trip to. Savanna, GA in October after Petit jean. Any thing I should see on my way to PJ or on the way to Savanna.

Also wondering if there are any good little airports in the Savanna area. The chart has some private airports which might be ok if they are welcoming but not much shows up for public airports. Is Savanna airport friendly to RV types and any chance of a hangar for a few nights.

Thanks for any information.

From your screen name I surmise that you are either still in a 6a or may have already transitioned into a 14a so unleaded fuel is probably not an interest for you. But for us 12 pilots Barnwell, SC is a wonderful stop off that has a dedicated 94 octane unleaded pump that is fairly priced!

The U.S. Space & Rocket Center is in Huntsville, Alabama if you're into a museum stop.

Plan on a stop at Triple Tree Aerodrome in Woodruff, SC (SC00)

A scenic airport near Savanna is KSSI on St. Simons Island. It is right on the water of a beautiful island.

Last edited:
As for Savannah - not much in the way of small plane airports in the neighborhood, i.e.., less than an hour away. Hodges Airpark has no facilities, has a grass runway that can get soggy, and not really an option. Don't know that other airports have rental cars available, and traffic can be horrendous at the wrong times of day.

Sheltair might have hangars, Signature is caught in a massive "realignment" of the southeast corner and has no hangars. Check prices in advance, of course.

Enjoy your visit!

Ed

Savannah is OK, but for my money, I'd go a little farther to Charleston. Of course, I may be biased since I'm originally from Charleston. But having spent time in both places, I think Charleston has more to offer in the way of history, natural beauty, easily accessible beaches, fabulous dining options, and ease of getting around. Plus there are a number of GA-friendly airports right there in the area. I got my PPL at KLRO, but you also have KJZI on the south side. A little further out you have KDYB and KMKS as options as well. And even KCHS is not too big a hassle for GA.

Jekyll Island (09J) is the best Georgia coastal destination for small airplanes.
Jekyll was purchased in 1947 by the state of Georgia. Its essentially a state park. The state has limited the construction on the island keeping large portions of the island natural. They recently updated their shopping district, convention center and hotels. They have golf, putt putt, horseback riding, 22miles of amazingly scenic bike trails, a historic district and a sea turtle center.
And the best part is the hospitality of the FBO. Richard, a retired airline pilot, manages the airport. He rents out bikes and electric golf carts (Red Bug Motors). If you fly in to the island, he provides pilots limited use of the bikes and golf carts for no charge. He also runs Red Bug pizza nearby with great food. I almost always eat there. If you like Mexican food, Tortuga Jack's is a good option with the best view sitting under the Tiki hut.
The beaches are flat and hard packed sand suitable for riding bikes. At the North end of the island there is drift wood beech. The drift wood there consists of the whole tree. A very unique and beautiful place.
The ocean water around the island is murky. You can stand in 6 inches of water and not see your feet. So, I would could not recommend snorkeling.
July and August can be very hot. Would recommend going spring or fall.

A good place to fuel up is Baxley (BHC) and HazelHust,(AZE) just Northeast of Jekyll.

Note; If you go to Savannah, I would recommend the riverboat dinner cruise. Its approximately $200 for 2 and all the food you can eat. A little pricey but a good trip.

Attachments

• 20200816_102049.jpg
    20200816_102049.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200817_202002.jpg
    20200817_202002.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210518_083855.jpg
    20210518_083855.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 20
Savannah

We’ve really enjoyed a few weekend jaunts to Savannah. Really fun town. With no great smaller alternatives, we’ve used KSAV. The FBOs (we’ve used both) are the standard higher $$ jet jockey versions but had friendly folks and we received excellent treatment. Kind of fun parking next to big new Gulfstreams too. :)

The more I travel in the RV, the more resigned I am to occasionally paying higher gas prices at super nice FBOs. The Ace Copilot loves the facilities, it’s fun dealing with ATC etc., and the line guys seem relieved you aren’t another bizjet. Also the -9A doesn’t really burn much gas anyway.

Assuming you’re coming from that direction, Baxley (KBHC) is one of the great institutions of GA.

I’m thinking of a trip to. Savanna, GA in October after Petit jean. Any thing I should see on my way to PJ or on the way to Savanna.

Also wondering if there are any good little airports in the Savanna area. The chart has some private airports which might be ok if they are welcoming but not much shows up for public airports. Is Savanna airport friendly to RV types and any chance of a hangar for a few nights.

Thanks for any information.

Last edited:
Back