What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failed PAPR equest

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
I've previously (last year or so) gotten the FAA reports with no problems.
Appareo Stratus 1090 ESG

After I recently got the transponder check done, I decided to get a new report.

However the reply was:
"Your requested Public ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR) could not be completed using the provided criteria:

Search Type: TAIL
Search Value: N214FL
Search Period: 10/14/2023"

When I go to https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N214FL I see all my recent flights.

So I asked "Why is it they have ADS-B data when your system do not?" and FAA replied:
"Flightaware uses other sources of data in addition to ADS-B so they can create a flight track even if the aircraft is not transmitting ADS-B."

Does that make any sense?

Finn

I've previously (last year or so) gotten the FAA reports with no problems.
Appareo Stratus 1090 ESG

After I recently got the transponder check done, I decided to get a new report.

However the reply was:
"Your requested Public ADS-B Performance Report (PAPR) could not be completed using the provided criteria:

Search Type: TAIL
Search Value: N214FL
Search Period: 10/14/2023"

When I go to https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N214FL I see all my recent flights.

So I asked "Why is it they have ADS-B data when your system do not?" and FAA replied:
"Flightaware uses other sources of data in addition to ADS-B so they can create a flight track even if the aircraft is not transmitting ADS-B."

Does that make any sense?

Finn

Yes, it makes sense.

In the case of the aircraft linked above, note that FlightAware is getting the data via MLAT and not ADS-B. https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N214FL/history/20231014/2015Z/KTVI/9FL5/tracklog

The above points to your ADS-B not working, or potentially not broadcasting the proper tail number, or the like...

At least as far back as July 29, you haven't been transmitting ADS-B as expected.

Interesting. But how does flightaware know my tail number?
No flight plans were filed.

Or is that what Mode S is?

So what is the difference between Mode S and ADSB-Out?

Obviously I have a lot to learn about this.

Finn

Interesting. But how does flightaware know my tail number?
No flight plans were filed.

Or is that what Mode S is?

So what is the difference between Mode S and ADSB-Out?

Obviously I have a lot to learn about this.

Finn

Mode S is transmitting your tail number.

Mode C transmits your altitude and transponder code, and Mode S sends the Mode C data + registration information and your speed. ADS-B transmits without interrogation, Mode S must be interrogated to transmit.

A couple of possibilities.
1. Remember that the date must be in GMT. If I flew tonight I must ask for the report from 10-20-2023 (tomorrow, in England)
2. Most likely whoever did your transponder test changed a setting. Find your manual, check all the adsb settings. Your N number must be there but in hexadecimal form (you can find this on the faa’s web site).

Thank you.

I don't think it's possible to turn off ADSB-Out but I'll check the manual.

Obviously it's transmitting the correct tail number. Previously it was transmitting the correct ICAO number but I'll recheck that.

Couple of things I should mention. The avionics tech that did the check insisted that if I didn't use RG-400 cable the transmitter would burn out. Is that true? So I replaced my home made RG-58/U (only a 6' run) with a 2m RG-400 cable with already installed BNC connectors. Also removed the Stratus 1090 ESG to check the serial number after the check. Perhaps didn't properly seat it when put it back in the tray -- but it transmits Mode S OK so unlikely. Which brings up another question: Is the DB-25 connector in the tray supposed to be slightly loose to facilitate easy mating of the connectors? I had to remove the top skin, loosen the DB-25 screws slightly to make the DB-25 connectors mate, then re-tightened them. But is that a mistake?

BTW I did check the new cable (and antenna) with my NanoVNA and SWR was OK. Any chance the cheap rod antenna has an intermittent bad connection? But again, transmits Mode S...

Finn

Have you looked at the cable and antenna for the built-in gps? Maybe they came unplugged?
PS Everyone agrees RG400 is superior to RG58, but saying the the transponder will blow up with 58 is pretty extreme. May be time for a new tech.

Have you looked at the cable and antenna for the built-in gps? Maybe they came unplugged?
PS Everyone agrees RG400 is superior to RG58, but saying the the transponder will blow up with 58 is pretty extreme. May be time for a new tech.

Thanks Bob, yes that's what I thought. When I got the transponder I looked at the max loss specified in the manual and decided that 6' of RG58 would suffice. But I guess the RG400 cable won't hurt.

I don't recall seeing any error messages and seem to remember seeing position readout, but will check again when I get back to the plane.

Finn

Yea, sounds like you need a new tech or he needs additional training.

Transponders have used RG-58 since the 1940's (WWII) without burning up. Early transponders were a lot more sensitive to cable issues than modern transponders are. RG-400 is significantly better, but RG-58 will work. :cool:

Last edited:
Bad GPS cable

Thanks for all the enlightening replies!

Found the problem. Pressed FUNC key and Lat/Log showed all dashes.
Ohm'ed the cable from GPS antenna to Stratus 1090ESG. Shorted center to shield. Routed too close to exhaust manifold/pipe and too tight zip ties.

Ordered new cable (10' male TNC to male TNC RG-58).

Still curious why they designed the GPS receiver to require a minimum of 2 dB loss between RAMI AV-801 antenna to the Stratus 1090ESG internal GPS. Silly to have 5' of cable looped up. Too late now, but should probably have ordered a 5' RG-400 and a 2 dB attenuator. Oh, wait! Now I know why. $100 for the attenuator!?

Finn

Still curious why they designed the GPS receiver to require a minimum of 2 dB loss between RAMI AV-801 antenna to the Stratus 1090ESG internal GPS. Silly to have 5' of cable looped up…
Finn

They almost certainly didn’t intentionally design it that way. They bought commercially available integrated circuits, and found later that they didn’t quite match the chosen antenna output, could be overloaded, couldn’t meet spurious reject specs, etc. Easiest fix is to lose a little signal. Also, I’m surprised you went with RG58 for a new cable. IMHO this is penny-wise, pound-foolish. Even more so if you’re running around the engine compartment.

Has to be RG-58.

... Also, I’m surprised you went with RG58 for a new cable. IMHO this is penny-wise, pound-foolish. Even more so if you’re running around the engine compartment.

Has to be RG-58 to get the 2 dB loss with 10' of cable. The Stratus 1090 ESG and RAMI GPS antenna came with 10' long RG-58 TNC connectors cable. With RG-400 I think I'd need to coil up a 40' foot long cable to get the required 2 dB loss! Unless I get a 2 dB attenuator.

New path in engine compartment will be as far away from exhaust as possible.

Finn

Last edited:
Passed!

Happy to report that passed the PARP today, even with a temporary shortened and fixed cable between GPS antenna and Stratus 1090 ESG. Will install new cable when arrives in the mail.

Finn

check wiring Gtx 327-UAVionix Echo+SkyFx-ACK 30.9 digitizer

I am attaching my wiring diagram for the Garmin GTX327, the Uavionix Echo and SkyFx, and ACK 30.9 serial digitizer.

Comments suggestions welcome.

I can supply screen shots of manuals later if needed.

The only part that seems a bit odd to me is the pin 25 on the 327 shows shielded with both the pin 25 wire which is connected to the Echo Ground with both the wire and shield are going to ground. Ill do it because that is how it is diagramed but just seems counter intuitive to me.

Attachments

• wiring transponder ADSB etc screenshot jpg.jpeg
    wiring transponder ADSB etc screenshot jpg.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 16
Back