What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-801L Firewall Backing Plate

4kilo

Well Known Member
F-801L is a backing plate on the forward side of the firewall for the rudder cable end termination. The drawings note that it should be made from "P/N AS3-125." Unfortunately, there are three pieces of AS3-125 aluminum sheet in the RV-8 fuselage kit (1x26, 1 1/2x48, 2.625x3.5), and I can find no reference about which to use (the finished part is about 1/2x2)

I realize that it is not that big a deal, but I would prefer not to use the wrong one and have to buy a replacement later. Does anyone know which of the three pieces to use?

Pat

Same Question

I'm working on my firewall and had the same question. I searched this topic in the forums and found this post, but did not see any answers so I figured I'd ask the question again. Does it matter which piece of AS3-125 I use to build the F-801L backing plate shown on drawing 21? It is the plate that anchors the cable for the adjustable rudder pedals.

Extra material

I have a QB so this was done for me. One thing I did find very useful was to buy a few chunks of various pieces of material - from 0.020" up to 0.125" - just so I wouldn't have to worry about issues like this. It's very cheap and saves you a lot of time. You'll eventually need more than they give you anyway, so better to get this extra material now rather than have to wait for some to be delivered.

Back