What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ OIL FILTER DRAIN

DavidHarris

Well Known Member
I see Antisplat Aero has 10% off right now (code "NEWYEAR" until Feb 15), and the EZ Oil Filter Drain caught my eye because I often make a mess dripping oil from the filter during an oil change.

You tap a sharp point of the drain into your filter, then connect compressed air, and it blows the oil out of the filter. Looks like a clever solution, and I'm happy with several other AntiSplat tools and mods.

Being less than an engine wiz, I'm looking for a bit of feedback on whether this might create any issues. If the engine is making metal and the filter has collected it, would I be blowing that metal back into the engine rather than detecting it? Any other problems with pressurizing the engine via the filter?

Thanks!

David

Just punch a hole in the top of the filter near the back and then rotate the filter 180* and hang a catch can on the filter.

Just punch a hole in the top of the filter near the back and then rotate the filter 180* and hang a catch can on the filter.
I believe the understanding of BLOWING out the oil would be a low pressure of say 10 psi. If you put 150 in there ya you may cause a bit of turmoil. Heck 5 psi would probably do it.
I have yet to subscribe to this method, But, have been a mechanic for the last 55 years and understand the situation.
I have a piece of aluminum bent up to catch the oil form the filter removal process.
Works for me. But, your luck may vary Fixit

I have an OLD US Industrial Tool oil filter drain tool that cost less than $20 USD 25 or so years ago.

41dje4wHWuL.jpg

Cannot find anyone that sells them now or if they are still in production.

IMHO -- This Anti-Splat EZ Oil Filter Drain procedure is not recommended for those of us flying ROTAX-powered RVs. Pressurizing the ROTAX oil system in this manner will likely blow the oil out of the engine oil lines thus necessitating that a full "purging" of the engine's oil system be accomplished i/a/w ROTAX Service Instruction SI-912-010 / 914-011 R2.

I bought an EZ Oil Filter drain last year and have used it once. It worked really well. (y) Follow the directions (watch Allan's video), no issues, very little (if any) mess. O-360. I look forward to using it again on my next oil change.

Back