What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Experimental Aircraft over Sporting Events

I don't have them at my fingertips, but if actual accident statistics for in-flight loss of control leading to a crash or pilot incapacitation or in-flight break-up were compiled for all the types of aircraft doing stadium fly overs, I'd bet a lot of money that Experimental Aircraft will NOT have the worst record. Do you assume that military aircraft are immune to accidents? Checked the headlines on helicopter incidents lately? How about parachute-ists dropping onto the 50 yard line; what are the actual odds they could end up in the crowd?

Given the likelihood of alcohol consumption before, during and after any stadium-worthy event, what are the actual odds of death or injury driving to the venue or simply walking through the parking lot to your seat?

Now, fighting the FAA with mere facts may be a fools errand, government agencies demonstrate their relevance by prohibiting behavior - no one notices an agency that says, "yes", but facts shouldn't be eliminated from the discussion.

Were we able to assemble a cloud of RVs capable of blotting out the sun over a football game, we would probably be doing more statistical good by reducing sun burn and skin cancer rates than we would be endangering fans by exposing them to the risk of falling aluminum.
I base my opinion of not supporting large formations over stadiums on the simple risk/probability/consequences assessment. Bad event probability goes up dramatically with 5, 10, 30 planes in a flight. Get-there-itis goes up when trying to hit the last note of the song with 80,000 people watching. One single incident would put these "dangerous little homemade airplanes" headlining every news outlet all over the country for weeks. Remember Reno?? Because there would certainly be dramatic video of the event for everyone to see. Congressmen & women from every state would be wanting no more of the "dangerous little homemade airplanes" over their cities. And guess what, the FAA and DHS *would* act and act fast.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to call the FAA and EAA as well and voice my opposition.

Last edited:
Poking the Bear?

I've followed this thread without commenting, as I don't have much to add. Thanks to Nasty, Kahuna and the rest who have taken up the cause.

One point that I do feel compelled to comment on, and that is the idea that these stadium flyovers are somehow "poking the bear." Having participated in one very large event and several smaller ones I have a little insight into how they are conducted. These large, major sports venue (MLB, NFL etc) events have been going on for several years now, with the full knowledge and approval of both the DHS and the FAA. As several posts have noted, both the ATC folks and the local FSDOs have given their approval for these events, as did DHS. For whatever reason the HQ folks decided they didn't like it, made their feelings known, and the overflights stopped, immediately, while this is all sorted out.

"Poking the bear" implies some level of irresponsible behavior. What is irresponsible about this? Regardless of your personal thoughts on the wisdom/ safety of such flights, the FAA had no qualms about approving them for several years now, so that really isn't the issue, much as some would like to make it the issue.

This situation is analogous to your local town board voting to lower the speed limit on your street, then mailing you a speeding ticket for the day last week that you drove at the older, higher speed limit which is now lower. You'd be well within your rights to protest such a move; would that be considered "poking the bear?"

This situation is analogous to your local town board voting to lower the speed limit on your street, then mailing you a speeding ticket for the day last week that you drove at the older, higher speed limit which is now lower. You'd be well within your rights to protest such a move; would that be considered "poking the bear?"

It's more analogous to your local town police "looking the other way" when you take a bunch of non-street-legal off-road vehicles onto city streets, until one day after a few too many "mass rides", the town council decides they've had enough of the mass gatherings, and oh, by the way...what are they doing on the streets in the first place? Better take a look at that, too, and maybe start *strictly* enforcing the law from now on.

Please Stay open

I'd vote that the thread stay open so the results of meetings, phone calls, etc. on this topic stay together. Also the opinions are interesting.

Carl

It's more analogous to your local town police "looking the other way" when you take a bunch of non-street-legal off-road vehicles onto city streets, until one day after a few too many "mass rides", the town council decides they've had enough of the mass gatherings, and oh, by the way...what are they doing on the streets in the first place? Better take a look at that, too, and maybe start *strictly* enforcing the law from now on.
That is not a good analogy at all. In our case, the local police (FAA) had given its express, written blessing to these events for years, even issuing permits for the events, not just "looked the other way." If the town council decides that things are getting out of hand and they want to rethink the whole idea, that is well within their rights. What is not within their rights is to direct the police to issue tickets to those who participated in the past (previously approved and permitted) events. That is clearly out of order and reeks of the "Bob Hoover" enforcement mentality of some within the FAA. Any signs of that sort of thing need to be aggressively fought against, in order to protect our freedoms in the long term.

Last edited:
Thread

This thread should remain open simply because the stadium events have likely been the most public activity that RV's have been involved. To close the forum where these public events are discussed simply because we don't like the emotion around the issue or the facts would be very ironic.

Why RV's have filled in

I've got to suspect that the sudden appearance of RV's doing fly-overs at stadium events has more to do with DoD funds being cut than the sudden appetite within the RV community to do them. Where are the B-52's and B-2's and F-18's and F-15's and Apaches? Grounded for lack of funds and worn out from constant deployment?
Nature abhors a vacuum. The end of REALLY LOUD military flyovers created an opportunity. The Stadium operators know fans expect something as the curtain is raised for the event, so the only aviation community with the energy and ability to put on a show anything like the previous one has filled in.
Again, I'd really like to know exactly how accident rates compare between these scary experimental aircraft the FAA is suddenly afraid of and the supposedly safe military aircraft nobody gave a thought to.
(I flew military and participated in a few fly-overs. I don't think I'm being unfairly critical of the military, I'm just aware that they have safety issues too.)

Stats

This quote was taken from the safety thread and is the view point from others inside the group...

"As already mentioned, a disproportionate share of RV accidents are pilot related - Low time pilots transitioning to a high performance airplane, low level aerobatics, buzzing, formation flight, etc. Perhaps there's a greater tendency in the homebuilt arena for the Walter Mitty syndrome - I've just strapped into a little fighter and I think I hear the music from Top Gun. Call me Maverick!" - Well Said

The safety aspect of the flyover's in experimental's does present a statistically higher risk as an amateur built airplane. It is well known the the E-A/B's have a higher accident rate for a variety of reasons as stated above. Thus, why there is concern with opening the can of worms with the FAA on DPA's and E-A/B's. They are well positioned statistically to confront the debate because of the E A/B safety record.

I can see both sides to this. I think a flyover by a group of trained, experienced formation pilots flying RVs would be a pretty low risk operation.

Of course the terms "experimental" and "private pilot" each cover a lot of ground. A formation flight of hacks like me in Volksplanes and Breezys with a couple of ultralights and a 60s vintage Cherokee rent-a-trainer thrown in would be an entirely different proposition; I'd recommend staying under cover. Obviously this is something of an exaggeration... for a major sporting event. I don't know who's going to overfly the Doane College homecoming game, but it's not the Blue Angels or Team Aerodynamix. I, of course, would never participate in something like that without a lot of training and experience, but you get my point.

And one set of rules has to cover both extremes.

I do find the whole experimental aircraft over DPA matter disturbing. I had read that part of the regs and wondered about it, but was told it was one of those things that was open to interpretation, and that once an E/AB was out of Phase 1 it could be flown anywhere. If that changes, you're going to see the utility and value of a lot of our little aluminum babies plummet. That worries me.

But if there is a group of pilots who went to the trouble of getting prior written approval for something, FAA and TSA and everyone else was on board, and after the fact they get in hot water -- well, it's simply not right and should be fought.

That is not a good analogy at all. In our case, the local police (FAA) had given its express, written blessing to these events for years, even issuing permits for the events, not just "looked the other way." If the town council decides that things are getting out of hand and they want to rethink the whole idea, that is well within their rights. What is not within their rights is to direct the police to issue tickets to those who participated in the past (previously approved and permitted) events. That is clearly out of order and reeks of the "Bob Hoover" enforcement mentality of some within the FAA. Any signs of that sort of thing need to be aggressively fought against, in order to protect our freedoms in the long term.

Totally agree...having approval by FSDO, TSA, etc., ought to guarantee that there'd be no enforcement action (in fact, has any enforcement action been taken yet? All that's been referenced here are Letters of Investigation?). Not arguing this point at all.

But "aggressively fighting" a specific enforcement action, complete with documented FAA approval, etc., is NOT the same thing as "aggressively fighting" for the right to do it *again*, or to drag into the equation a much larger scope with its consequent potential effects.

I'm all for the first part; not so much the second.

..."Poking the bear" implies some level of irresponsible behavior...

Not in my mind, and certainly not in this case. "Poking the bear" in this case is gaining approval, then performing an act that is far outside our "normal" behavior.

Look, deserved or not, E-AB's and RV's in particular have a poor reputation in the aviation community. This is pointed out on this forum every time someone is found "hot dogging" at a pancake fly in or doing something else questionable. "...Keep the public safe..." Or at least "...do it away from people..." Because "...our right to fly is at stake...".

In my mind our ability to operate E-AB's essentially unrestricted is a tenuous situation - subject to change when the "bear" wakes up. So if our normal mode of operation requires us to keep a low profile, then flying a mass formation directly over a stadium full of people is exactly the opposite. That's the "poke".

Im not suggesting anyone who participated in these stadium flyovers has done anything wrong or even unsafe, but if our ability to fly unrestricted requires us to keep a low profile, then that's what we need to do.

The fact that there is government movement on this issue indicates that the bear is "waking up"... This might be our wake up call as well. Time to tread lightly, IMHO.

Last edited:
Value

Can you imagine what would happen to the value of our RV's (and experimental airplanes in general) if the bear decides to define DPA and thus limit experimental activity? What would happen to Van's and other kit mfg?

Can you imagine what would happen to the value of our RV's (and experimental airplanes in general) if the bear decides to define DPA and thus limit experimental activity? What would happen to Van's and other kit mfg?

Just think of all the money we would save on lower annual personal property taxes and insurance payments due to lower hull values.

I think there is a little more to the story than some are acknowledging. It was touched on earlier in the thread but was quickly dropped for some reason.

There seems to be a very convenient over sight with regard to commercial operations and these flights. The formation teams have taken E-AB airplanes and performed at some of the largest commercial events in the country including football, baseball and NASCAR. However, we are not wanting to define the performances as commercial operations for the benefit of some of the pilots involved. Really...

Lets tell the whole story, several of the pilots involved do not have commercial pilots licenses or Classs II medicals. However, the teams seem to publicly post pictures inside the games, bus rides, party's etc... The group still wants to claim publicly that no one is receiving compensation or benefits for performing the flyovers. Wow, ok.

Furthermore, the groups have campaigned business's and solicited fund raising in the local communities for charity (i.e. Breast Cancer). However, a large portion of the money was used to outfit the airplanes with custom smoke systems that are still in use. Apparently this isn't compensation either...

No guys, FAST cards or FFI's cards do not meet the requirements of a commercial ticket either.

"compensation or hire"- The FAA has clearly and historically defined compensation to include any benefit including transportation, meals, lodging or any other benefit that the pilot would not have otherwise retained including flight time.

So while one aspect of the discussion hits on DPA's and the legality of the flights, in accordance with the waivers and approvals. There is also an apparent need for some clarification on the definition of "compensation" as it relates to the flights over the stadiums.

The teams have spoken loud and clear throughout the communities, internet and public in order to flag attention to themselves. It should not be of any surprise that LOI's have been issued and the FAA has realized that it's time to take a closer look. This is how you have "poked the bear".

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzz,

Nasty laid it all out very clearly- this issue is about FAA concern about DPA overflights in E-AB, not compensation. That may be another issue but it is not the one at hand.

The custom smoke systems you speak of were paid for by the individual pilots, despite many of us being qualified to receive compensation.

Understood and my apologies for the misstatement.

However, it also reminder that experimental airplanes are also prohibited for use in commercial operations for carrying of persons or property for hire or compensation as well. So it's hard to see how the events can be carried out with any real consideration of current regulations.

So it's hard to see how the events can be carried out with any real consideration of current regulations.

Buzz (Tim),

I'd like to speak to many of the statements, questions and thoughts you have posted, some of which are echoed by other posters. I hope this all comes across in the spirit of mutual respect that I feel we as RVers can and should share.

First, in general terms, I see from your profile that your occupation is in risk management, and I can appreciate how your training would drive you to question what formation teams do, and how. I respect that. An underlying philosophy of what formation teams do is risk management, via planning, preparation and training. These events are not ad hoc in any way, shape or form. The larger flyovers are the culmination of months (seriously) of planning. Events such as this are carefully choreographed from brief, to staging, to start, to taxi, to takeoff, to join-up, to timing, to ingress, to overflight, to egress, to recovery. Very, very detailed, including risk assessment and mitigation, emergency procedures, and what we call "outs". They are not done without due consideration of risk.

They also cannot, and never are, carried out without "any real consideration of current regulations". I want to speak to that.

Lets talk about compensation first. It was brought up, as you noted. However, as Jeff pointed out, the major point of contention has become flight over DPA, as it related to stadium flyovers. However, I respect your concern, and in fact, compensation of non-Commercial Pilots is on the FAA's radar, and has been for quite some time. However, it is not the reason for the LOIs, and has not been a discussion item concerning this event. It has not been a part of my discussions with any level of the FAA regarding stadium flyovers…but it is out there.

Compensation for non-CPs is a hot button, and one we not only know about, but have taken measures to ensure we are in compliance with. We are giving very real consideration to that reg, and all regs. For instance, as Jeff said, we paid for the materials to make our smoke brackets. They were fabricated by members of a formation team. In the first "pink flight" in 2012, I traveled from Reno to KC to participate, and paid all of my expenses…every penny…and I am a CP and ATP. My wife is a Breast Cancer Survivor, and that cause is important to us…formation was not my only motivation. The following year, sponsor funding and team funding was raised to help defray some of the costs. Donation funds were not utilized for that, but the other sourced funds were used to partially reimburse some of the costs…to the CPs in the group. The bus we rode in was privately owned by a friend of one of the flight team (most of us rode on bean-bag chairs), and any parties you saw were thrown by us…with our own money. Not compensation…just fun. Even the t-shirts we made were never sold, they were given away. And tens of thousands of dollars have been raised for Breast Cancer Awareness and Cancer Treatment Centers.

Later that year, prior to the Phoenix Raceway NASCAR flyover, the compensation issue was raised by the local FSDO, and answered to their satisfaction. How that happened: After the TFR waiver was approved (by TSA and FAA ATC), the cognizant ATC facility contacted the local FSDO. That FSDO contacted the formation coordinators, and stated E-AB aircraft could not be used for compensation. It was clarified with them that no passengers or cargo were being carried for compensation (that is the actual prohibition, as you know), and that only CPs would be partially reimbursed for their expenses. That FSDO accepted that, came out to check our credentials, and attended our safety brief, which they said was excellent. The flight was all good to them, and DPA was not on the radar screen…at all.

So we are well aware of the compensation issue, and I feel are doing the due diligence to ensure we are in compliance with those regs.

Segue to DPAs and 91.319(c). There seems to be an outcry here that "these formation groups" knowingly and negligently violated 91.319(c), and knew about the interpretation of AFS-830 and -800 before doing the flyovers. Its as if some feel we picked up a lamp engraved 91.319(c), knew there was a dangerous genie inside, and by doing flyovers and posting videos of them, figuratively rubbed the lamp until the genie came out.

That is so far from the truth. 100% of our pilots felt we were authorized to fly over DPAs by the language in the FARs and our OPS Lims. None of us had an inkling that 91.319(c) was a threat, or about to become a hammer. Had any of us known that 830/800 held the opinion that DPA overflight was strictly for TO and LNDG only, and that stadium overflights would be the trigger that would cause them to dust off the reg and bring a hammer down, none of us would have poked that bear. We would have been concerned about that interpretation, and its contingent liability (and are now, but want to be a part of the solution).

Before this thread, did anyone reading this know that this 830/800 interpretation of 91.319(c) existed? Did anyone reading this know that such an interpretation potentially renders our OPS Lims item #6 legally impotent? If so, no one that read coverage of stadium flyovers, or saw pictures of the same, communicated that concern, AFAIK. No one raised a red flag, publicly or privately, to say these formation groups were poking the bear. Instead, it seems a lot of "great job", "awesome performance", and even "great way to to represent Experimental Aviation" comments were the overwhelming response…until now.

Being responsible and responsive, formation groups reacted proactively to the LOIs (which were issued without warning, and after the fact), and stood down the flyovers. FAA, EAA and ICAS have started a dialogue to determine if a viable path forward exists for flyovers. Our groups will be represented as well, and hope to join the others to find a solution that does not threaten the E-AB community. If it exists, we'll be a positive part of it. If not, we won't chase a windmill, or press until big brother presses back.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Bob, great info and I understand your comment on respect. Understood and agree... Hopefully, others will share those same considerations into the future as well.

You have made several key points that deserve a bit more clarification and insight from this perspective. I am clear that good risk management practices and planning are an important aspect of these flights and your team. My hat is off to you and the team for the safety and diligence during these important phases. However, I?m sure that you can agree, the RV?s are man and machine and accidents still happen. This is only a fact?

Reno has learned this lesson on several occasions, and we are all aware of the tragic Leeward accident. I?m sure Jimmy didn?t think it would happen and many have said that ?if he would have known, he wouldn?t have done it?. The point is, regardless of planning and risk mitigation, it still happens. My training in life, business, flying and common sense are all sources of knowledge that lead me to this reasonable conclusion.

-DPA?s? I?m certainly not insinuating that your teams have ?picked up the lamp? and performed outside the waivers/approvals. I can only assume that this would be a poor decision on everyone?s part. Hopefully, this will be the basis for dismissal of enforcement without implication.

Moving on? the title of this thread is ?Experimental Aircraft over Sporting Events?. So by reference of the title, one would only assume that this is the right place to discuss the relevant subjects pertaining to the topic both now and in the future. As I?ve mentioned, there are numerous aspects of the flights that are easily questioned and gain speculation based on the team?s public presentation.

Specifically, there have been several comments in this thread stating "that we were not aware of the can of worms on the shelf". Frankly, several other topics including commercial operations, open air assemblies, persons or property and experimental operating limitations for commercial use? are also the proverbial ?can of worms? in the wings (sorry for the pun). It seems as if we are still very willing to ?poke? on these other confrontational areas... The group is publicly pushing against the system and regulations that we have been allowed to participate for many years.

With respect to the interpretation on Non?Commercial private pilots receiving compensation; You?re clarification on compensation is as stated ?It was clarified with them that no passengers or cargo were being carried for compensation (that is the actual prohibition, as you know)? Just for clarification, 61.113 reads:

Private pilot privileges and limitations include: carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire...

Apparently we are not interpreting smoke or smoke systems as property within the scope of the discussion or as outlined in 61.113. Additionally, it sounds as if we are not receiving any personal compensation in the form of benefits or personal gain in exchange for the flights. This is still hard to believe?

If compensation were to be acknowledged and received this would potentially render this a commercial flight governed by the operating limitations and/or the specifics of part 91.319.

In the past, non-commercial solo pilots have been violated for using E-A/B aircraft such as the pitts or christen eagle, if they received fuel (Not cash) in exchange for the show. It sounds as if the RV teams may be working to establish a new precedence for compensation as it relates solo PIC flights in E-A/B?s. That?s great, will be watching closely on that issue. I?m not sure if that is good for general aviation or the growth of commercial pilots?

You have also mentioned contingent liability which is a valid point. The contingent liability of these flights is distributed amongst many stakeholders including those that are likely involved if an accident would occur. As you know, it is very common that the waivers and/or government approvals establish some degree of responsibility and precedence for civil matters. This is where the trail will usually lead in order to verify how these types of operations were conducted and/or who approved. It will be interesting to see how the waivers and approvals process comes together.

Overall, it still seems that many within the formation group have difficulty seeing the overarching risk/reward impact that is being presented across the community. So, as the team seeks waivers and exemptions that could allow flying experimental airplanes over large or small commercial venues.. it sounds as if we are willing to establish some new precedence for aviation. Not be negative if that?s how you?re receiving the information. These points are valid and fair within the subject line of the thread.

I do respect your position as your negotiations move forward; however we also realize that the filings, approvals and actions of your team may have substantial effects on all stakeholders, contingent included?

Respectfully, Tim

Private Pilot

I understand that this was not the subject of the original post. However the issue of Private Pilot compensation continues to be mentioned. Compensation for EAB aircraft and Private Pilot have no direct relationship. The Private Pilot could be flying an airshow in an EAB Pitts of a certificated Pitts. Its makes no difference regarding this issue. The FAA has been all over the chart on this issue. A few examples from years ago. Private Pilot flies an airshow and fills up with free fuel for the trip how. FAA violation, FAA rules the fuel was a form of compensation.
Another Private Pilot flies an airshow. No compensation, no free fuel, no free meal, nothing. FAA violation, FAA rules that the publicity the pilot received is a form of compensation. Another Private Pilot has a custom built airplane. Half the cost of the new airplane was paid for by a sponsor. FAA when asked about this said we don't care. No violation.
I don't know the final disposition of the first two examples, whether they were appealed, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving

Bob,

I am very grateful for the representation you and EAAs Sean Elliott are providing to defend my ability to fly in/near DPAs.

I couldn't be in better hands.

Thanks also; to you hundreds of highly skilled, highly disciplined formation pilots who drill and drill and drill, then make the personal sacrifices necessary to represent Aviation at America's major sporting events, memorial services, national holidays, and our hometown festivities. You are providing that inspirational spark to bring young men and women into our brotherhood of aviators. You are building our future. I am proud to know you.

Thank you so much. Bob, Sean, RV Aviators. Keep up the great work.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Back