What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Expensive Annual

Plummit

Well Known Member
This was my first annual on the RV-10 I purchased a year ago. Having found several things I wanted to improve on, I also learned a lot about my airplane and the systems used in it's construction.

On top of the things I wanted to improve, I found the ELT battery had expired last year. $169 from Pacific Coast Avionics. Then there's the O2 tank... I checked the hydro date and found it to be expired. On top of that, it's a Kevlar wrapped, 50 Cu Ft tank that was first tested in 2001. Composite tanks are good for 15 years - period. Mountain High quoted me $900 or there abouts for a replacement. So beware, if you are going to use an O2 tank, you may want to consider an aluminum model. Looks like I'll replace mine with a 48 CU FT model - for *only* $700! :eek:

regards

-Marc

expensive....can be relative

I know a guy with a Bonanza ( certified RV-10!) that doesn't call his annuals 'expensive' until they hit 5 digits on the invoice. :eek:

take a deep breath, enjoy the freedom to buy whatever 02 tank you want, not just the $4000 one that is 'approved' for your 60-year old airframe!

:D

. Looks like I'll replace mine with a 48 CU FT model - for *only* $700! :eek:

regards

-Marc

That is a very big tank.

I've done a long west trip over the mountains and two of us used perhaps half of an AL-682 tank (22 cu-ft) from Mountain High mounted on the tunnel cover.

$40 to get a new tank of oxygen from the local gas shop - three of us have tanks we keep in daisy chain so we can use up the less then full tanks before topping off.

Carl

That is a very big tank.

I've done a long west trip over the mountains and two of us used perhaps half of an AL-682 tank (22 cu-ft) from Mountain High mounted on the tunnel cover.
Carl

You are right Carl, but using a smaller tank means I have to re-do the tank mount, and 15 years? I probably won't care by then.... Are you using the RCR/RCV regulator? http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.php/pressure-regulators/remote

In order for me to hydro the tank, I have to drain the remaining O2, remove the RCR/RCV regulator, which is mounted without a shut-off valve, then send the regulator to MH for the 5-year check.... Gawd I love aviation!

~Marc

Still cheap!! I was the secretary/treasurer for a flying club with a couple of 182's. I studied the history and budgeted $1500 to $2000/yr (each) for them.

That was in 1986 !!!! For reference, a new (not stripped) Bonanza was $125k that year for a promotion.

You are right Carl, but using a smaller tank means I have to re-do the tank mount, and 15 years? I probably won't care by then.... Are you using the RCR/RCV regulator? http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.php/pressure-regulators/remote

~Marc
I'm using this system with the 22 cu-ft tank.
http://www.mhoxygen.com/images/stories/pics web page/pics_in_use/Pulse_Demand/O2D2-Kit-0.JPG

As I just reach between the seats and turn on the tank, there is no need for a remote control regulator. Shoot fire I got the whole system with tank from MH (Oshkosh special) for about what you will pay just for the tank. The tank comes with a canvas pouch with straps so it is secure on the tunnel cover but easy to get in and out of the plane for it's once or twice a year fill up.

Why go through the hassle of a hard mounted tank? A lot of weight to always carry around even if you don't need it. Doesn't this make filling them up hard and expensive? A fill up for me costs about $10.

Carl

Thanks Carl. My plane was built with the built-in EDS system. There is a master control in the panel, then individual stations at each seating position. The front seat stations are also in the panel. Seems a waste to chuck it all. I do have a remote fill port in the baggage compartment so it really isn't too much trouble for the occasional fill, and with a 50 Cu Ft tank, we don't need to fill it too often! ;-)

I will just keep what I have since it's all functioning and just needs a new tank.

thanks

~Marc

Back