What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EXP load center

gmpaul

I need a (yea or nay) or maybe an alternative for a EXP-BUSS. Thanks' in advance. G.P.

Glass panal
GRT
true track
gtx 327
sl-40
garmin 496

I considered a pre-made bus system, but decided I did not want to be inhibited by the design and circuit limitations. I designed my own system, listing all the items I wanted, establishing all the power requirements, organized them on a panel planner, and just did it.

I used individual circuit breakers connected with bus bar and ran all the wiring to it all. I used a Cessna type master/alternator switch to power the CD solenoid (that powers everything) and the alternator field. Once you get your panel all organized and you get the amps required to power the various items, you just use the correct gage wire to supply it all. It's really not that complicated.

Start out by writing down everything you want, how you want to activate it (like switches and breakers) and see if the premade bus fulfills your needs. A simpler system may be fine, but if you add a lot of bells and whistles, it may not be adequate. I have a medium size electrical demand, yet wound up using 26 circuit breakers to protect my electrical system.

When you consider landing lights, nav lights, panel lights, strobes, ignition, alternator, radios, intercom, headset power (Bose), flaps, indicators, instruments,...... you want to be sure your bus system is large enough. If the EXP bus fits your needs, go for it. But the individual switches and CBs may be more versatile and less expensive.

JMHO

Roberta

I went with a 20 position fuse panel. I like being able to understand what is going on, and with the exp bus, I didn't have that feeling...
My vote is to keep it simple.

EXP Buss

I used the EXP buss in my -8. I was expecting it to save me time and trouble come wiring time. It didn't. I expected it to be a lot simpler, it wasn't. Would I use one again, no way!
As mentioned above, use curcuit breakers, curcuit breaker switches, or a fuse block. This will give you so much more versatility and will be easier to understand and trouble shoot down the road.
Good Luck!

I had an Exp Bus in my last RV. I would not consider using it again. The new RV is going to have a mixture of fuses (ala Nuckolls) along with breakers for a few things.

mcb

Back