What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Swivel Springs

PeterMac65

I'm New Here
I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to assemble my Vans-supplied exhaust system. I cannot stretch the supplied 57mm swivel springs that hold the tailpipe sections in place. See photo. It's as though the springs aren't long enough, or the attach loops are welded in the wrong spot. I've left a message with Vans Tech Support, but no answer as yet. Thought I'd try here as well.
Can anyone offer any guidance?

240513_16.jpg

Same spring setup as on a 2-stroke dirt bike exhaust.
Make a hook out of stout coat hangar and wrap the bitter end around 3-4 inches of PVC pipe for a handle. Or go to Rocky Mountain ATV/ MC and buy their exhaust spring puller for a more professional tool.
The website will give you an idea of what shape tool you need to make If you go that route.

Same spring setup as on a 2-stroke dirt bike exhaust.
Make a hook out of stout coat hangar and wrap the bitter end around 3-4 inches of PVC pipe for a handle. Or go to Rocky Mountain ATV/ MC and buy their exhaust spring puller for a more professional tool.
The website will give you an idea of what shape tool you need to make If you go that route.
Looking at what that outfit sells, this is the image of their lowest cost tool you suggest.
tus_20_exh_spr_too-1030840001.jpg

This is the image on the website of how to use the tool on a motorcycle.
tus_18_exh_spr_too-3.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion regarding a proper hook. I made one up as described, and managed to get the springs in place. It just seemed like way too much force required to stretch them enough. They're a 57mm spring, and the distance between attach loops is 70mm. 13mm doesn't seem like a lot, but the springs need to be stretched to around 78mm to get the hooked end over the attach ring. Anyway, they're on now. Thanks again.
240514_01.jpg 240514_02.jpg

Back