What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust/ Firewall forward sequence question

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello gents, I'm getting close to mounting the engine on my bird and am wondering when I really need the exhaust on to keep the ball rolling. I am planning on doing the cowling and baffles right after mounting the engine. When is the best time to install the exhaust? Just trying to see where I should spend my money right now. Thanks!

P.S. If you all have any tips on the order of how things should be done after the engine I would love to hear it!

You can mount the engine first, no problem, however depending on your oil pressure fitting location you may want to install it before hanging the engine. Exhaust and baffles anytime.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm hoping to delay purchasing the exhaust so I can get a bunch of other stuff done first. I suppose I shouldn't get too carried away though as I bet many cables/tubes/wires need routed around the exhaust.

Tip - find a prop hub that matches your prop to use during the cowl fit up.

I borrowed and old Hartzell hub (no blades) that matched my Hartzell BA prop hub. Much easier to fit the cowl when you are not constantly walking around a prop.

Perhaps there are fixtures to use, but I only trust the real deal.

Carl

Tip - find a prop hub that matches your prop to use during the cowl fit up.

I borrowed and old Hartzell hub (no blades) that matched my Hartzell BA prop hub. Much easier to fit the cowl when you are not constantly walking around a prop.

Perhaps there are fixtures to use, but I only trust the real deal.

Carl

Thanks for the tip Carl! If I remember correctly (need to research it again) I think I can mount the prop and get the dimensions I meed to fabricate something but I like your idea if I can find one.

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm hoping to delay purchasing the exhaust so I can get a bunch of other stuff done first. I suppose I shouldn't get too carried away though as I bet many cables/tubes/wires need routed around the exhaust.

Might check some build logs on that. I can tell you that on my -6, the exhaust isn't an issue regarding engine controls. CHT and EGT wires plus ignition harnesses? Yeah, the exhaust plays into those.

Might check some build logs on that. I can tell you that on my -6, the exhaust isn't an issue regarding engine controls. CHT and EGT wires plus ignition harnesses? Yeah, the exhaust plays into those.

Awesome Kyle, exactly the info/tips I was looking for.

Jereme,

I recently finished an RV-7A with an IO-360 and stock exhaust. The exhaust runs below most systems. I put it on near the end and had no issues. I waited until the exhaust was on to finish the SCAT tube and the fuel servo controls and hoses.

I've found your posts very helpful over the past several years and am glad to be able to reciprocate.

Best,

David

Back