What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust clearance

amaris

Well Known Member
I'm fitting my cowling and the gap between the closest part of the exhaust and the lower scoop is about .125". Support said that's okay, put some aluminum tape on the cowl and most of their models have the same issue. I'm worried about that clearance for start-up/shut-down rubbing as well as paint blistering. The alternative is to do cowl surgery and make the scoop wider. Not a quick fix! Does anyone else have the cowl this close and any issues?

The motion is an arc basically from the center of the crank. Yours may have an issue.

My 7 with SJ cowl, and AWI exhaust 4-into-one has one tube ~.25" from my chute edge. I used 1/16" fiberfrax and aluminum tape/sheet over it. Heat has not been an issue and should not be for you.

Use 3M aluminum tape as it has the highest temp rating for the adhesive.

You may reset your exhaust pipes to see if some additional clearance can be generated.

Good luck.

Sadly, that’s as far as I can get it before it’s getting too close to the engine mount. Ideally, the whole assembly would just move inboard another half inch.

Allen, I would try Bill's idea. Also, if you have the Vetterman Exhaust, they have some ideas on their website. If you add the two heat muffs, it will become more interesting. Good luck.

Allen, I would try Bill's idea. Also, if you have the Vetterman Exhaust, they have some ideas on their website. If you add the two heat muffs, it will become more interesting. Good luck.

I spoke to Clint at Vetterman and he's taken the exhaust back so he can check it out for me and see why the fit might be off. Crossing my fingers!

Back