What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EPM-AVCORP fuel cap tool

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Does anyone have one one of the original EPM-AVCORP plastic fuel cap tools? I misplaced mine and I would like to try to 3D print one. If you still have one of those, I would love it if you could trace it so that I can replicate the shape. I believe it was either 3/16" or 1/4" thick.

Thank you!

Jerry

Does anyone have one one of the original EPM-AVCORP plastic fuel cap tools? I misplaced mine and I would like to try to 3D print one. If you still have one of those, I would love it if you could trace it so that I can replicate the shape. I believe it was either 3/16" or 1/4" thick.

Thank you!

Jerry

I’ve got at least one on the keychain in the Val….but I’m not home this week. Ping me next week if you don’t find one….

Thank you very much Carl and Paul.

Carl's lead on the patent took me to another page that also had the patent where I found a nice 3-view drawing. The only problem is that the drawing didn't include any dimensions. However it does appear to be actual size. Here it is on the second page:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/e0/70/c5/7553d79607eb79/USD479970.pdf

Yeah I could order one or two from Airplane Plastics, but my son offered to print me one. It'll be a good little project for him.

Thank you!

Jerry

P.S. Actually Paul, if you can measure yours from end to end when you get back, that will be helpful. That will give me an idea of the scale.

Last edited:
You're quite welocme.

The link I included in my post also had the 3-view drawing on the last page (scroll down).
Yeah I could order one or two from Airplane Plastics, but my son offered to print me one. It'll be a good little project for him.
I should have mentioned that Steve's (RVPlastics) original fuel cap opener failed after a number of uses. He then did some better modeling and testing to come up with a much more robust design. I thought maybe seeing some pics of the filament laydown design, and the thicknesses and lengths stated in those links, might offer some initial ideas. Just some further info for your Son to consider. Have fun!

Last edited:
I am a big fan of 3d printing, but why not mod a basic aluminum bottle opener. Light weight, won’t break and a multitasker for after the flight.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 49
I am a big fan of 3d printing, but why not mod a basic aluminum bottle opener. Light weight, won’t break and a multitasker for after the flight.
Yup, I thought of that. I have two on my desk. I was thinking about grinding the "nose" a little narrower and rounding and polishing the corners. But modeling and printing the EPM-AVCORP version should be a fun project for my 19 year old son. It'll give him something useful to do with his 3D printer. Thank you!

Hmmmmm....... I have always used the flat screwdriver end of my fuel sump drain tool. It is always in the airplane, secured with a modified broom holder 😄 and is in my back pocket as I do my preflight walk-around anyway. Tap the quick drain; open the fuel tank lid to peak inside and measure what fuel is in there with my home-made fuel level tool. Easy, simple and using a tool I have handy and use every preflight and after fueling. And is already in the airplane...🤷‍♂️

Back