What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine, Prop and Avionics Update posted

When I called and asked questions on why so soon on finial payment they told me no schedule change and I was still on for November. I was told Lycoming was making them send finial payment 90 days before scheduled assembly. I told Ann that they need to let us know and revise our contract. I just got ignored. I need to call Chris at Lycoming and see if they are asking for 90 day payment from Vans.
That’s interesting and if representative of the broader situation we need an explanation and update from the source.

That’s interesting and if representative of the broader situation we need an explanation and update from the source.

This is what I got in an email back in May. My expected delivery date for my TB IO360 is Jan '25. Note the 120 days. Was there a different # in the contract we signed? I honestly don't remember.

What to Expect

When your engine’s production slot gets close – approximately 120 days before Lycoming delivers the engine – Van’s will contact you requesting you to send the balance due for the engine order. Van’s then sends Lycoming your payment (50% immediately to maintain the planned production slot, and 50% upon completion of manufacturing). Note: it is critical that you submit your final payment in a timely manner when notified (within 14 days or less) to avoid the risks of losing your production slot, incurring a potential price increase if one has occurred since your order was priced, and substantially delaying your engine build.

We look forward to getting all open engine orders produced at Lycoming and will periodically update you with new information when it becomes available.

Thank you!

- The Team at Van’s Aircraft

This is what I got in an email back in May. My expected delivery date for my TB IO360 is Jan '25. Note the 120 days. Was there a different # in the contract we signed? I honestly don't remember.

What to Expect

When your engine’s production slot gets close – approximately 120 days before Lycoming delivers the engine – Van’s will contact you requesting you to send the balance due for the engine order. Van’s then sends Lycoming your payment (50% immediately to maintain the planned production slot, and 50% upon completion of manufacturing). Note: it is critical that you submit your final payment in a timely manner when notified (within 14 days or less) to avoid the risks of losing your production slot, incurring a potential price increase if one has occurred since your order was priced, and substantially delaying your engine build.

We look forward to getting all open engine orders produced at Lycoming and will periodically update you with new information when it becomes available.

Thank you!

So i went back and looked at the contract we all signed and it's black and white - 60 days. So why the discrepancy from what we agreed to contractually? And what recourse do we have if Vans asks for final payment 120 days before TPC production? Can they unilaterally cancel our contract or bump us back in line? Maybe Greg can chime in on the discrepancy because 60 and 120 is a big difference.

FINAL PAYMENT AND DELIVERY. Approximately 60 days prior to the TPC(s) being produced by the thirdparty
supplier, Seller will provide notice to Buyer (the “Production Notice”) stating (a) that the TPC(s) is entering the
Production Date window, and (b) the final price of the TPC(s) (the “Final Price”), and a final payment of the order
balance, consisting of the Final Price less the deposit amount received (the “Final Payment”) will become due upon
Buyer’s receipt of the Production Notice. The Final Payment must be received by Seller within 14 days of Buyer’s
receipt of the Production Notice.

Just reading through this, the 60 days refers to a “production window” and the 120 days to Lycoming delivering.

Maybe a production window is 60 days wide. That would make both, the 60 days in the contract and the 120 days in the email valid at the same time.

What to Expect

Thank you!

I was told by Ann in kit sales that Lycoming requires Vans to send finial payment 90 days before scheduled production. Here we go again..........make the rules, brake the rules, Make new rules, brake the new rules! Doesn't matter what you have in writing it can always be changed.

Where for the tour? How was it arranged?

We were in Wmspt PA last year, filled out request for a tour online, never heard back. On the day requested, at the time that tours were supposedly offered, we showed up, parked in visitor parking, went to entrance. Two fellas behind bulletproof glass were unable to help us, had never heard of a tour, did not offer to call anyone.
Sorry to hear you were not able to get a tour. I used the online form, and also emailed Chris, as I wanted to have a look at the TB build area. I talked with Chris at OSH and he offered to provide a tour, and to reach out when interested. I think the key may be sending in the form no more than 3-4 weeks before you plan on being there. I got an email back requesting more info.

I will agree, the bulletproof looking glass at the front entrance was odd. I felt like I was at a check cashing business in the bad part of town. Stark contrast to what I experienced at Hartzell, where they have a nice lobby showing lots of their tech.

Anyway, I don't want to sound to negative, because the tour was great. We were shown all around, and never felt rushed, or question unanswered. Big thanks for them taking the time!

It was interesting to see the stations and cells where the engine components are machined. Lots of, what looked to be, newer CNC milling machines. The engine assembly line was surprisingly small, but what do I know. The main building is quite old. When we toured the engine test cell area, the old cast iron doors of the test cells looked like they could hold back anything an exploding engine could throw at it. The tour is capped off with a run through a small museum. It has everything from their bicycles to auto engines to twelve cylinder aviation engines Lycoming once made.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic.

Last edited:
Sooo, for Van's and Lycoming the wheels seem to be turning again (y)
My March 22 ordered TB O-360 engine (hopefully that what's in the box...) was delivered this Monday.

IMG_3505.jpeg

Sooo, for Van's and Lycoming the wheels seem to be turning again (y)
My March 22 ordered TB O-360 engine (hopefully that what's in the box...) was delivered this Monday.

View attachment 66797
Is it wrong to lust after what appears to be a Jodel in the background of your pic on a Vans forum?! I'm glad your engine turned up... A good result after an interesting nine months...

@rsr3 no Jodel, but not far off as a Robin DR400... and yes, I should have photoshopped it away as it is one of those antique French wood & fabric (remember mr Louis Blériot?) thingy that bears little or no relation to our proud zillions of holes filled by aluminum rivets flying dreams :ROFLMAO:
Still, wonder what's really inside that wooden box (talking about THE box, not the aircraft behind ;))... a Rotax, a 6 jugs souped up Lyco... or my ordered red color naked (no fuel no ignition) TB 360?

@rsr3 no Jodel, but not far off as a Robin DR400... and yes, I should have photoshopped it away as it is one of those antique French wood & fabric (remember mr Louis Blériot?) thingy that bears little or no relation to our proud zillions of holes filled by aluminum rivets flying dreams :ROFLMAO:
Still, wonder what's really inside that wooden box (talking about THE box, not the aircraft behind ;))... a Rotax, a 6 jugs souped up Lyco... or my ordered red color naked (no fuel no ignition) TB 360?
So open THE $%&?@#! Box!

(And we expect a full report.)

@NavyS3BNFO
- April 13th received this mail:
Hello
Your engine is scheduled to be built in June. Lycoming want advance payment.
Please send the final balance $xxxxxx
The bank wire transfer instructions are attached here. This cannot be paid on a credit card.

(not 100% sure, but I seem to recall the contract stating 10 days for final payment)
- May 13th received this mail:
Good morning
I just wanted to let you know that we will be building your engine a little earlier than expected, your engine will built in May rather than June.

- July 8th
Good morning,
We received quotes for your Engine from OIA

(International shipping required for my engine which was now ready)
- July 15th, engine delivered

Back