What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine-out throttle and constant speed prop settings

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
OK, pop the popcorn.

I have heard several differing opinions on where you should set your throttle and CS prop handle when securing the engine after an inflight failure with no restart. Some of these opinions are delivered with accompanying bulged temple veins, rounded fists, and an occasional table smack for emphasis.

So knowing this may be an emotional subject, I’d like to know your recommendations. Calmly, now.

Throttle full forward (open) or full back (closed/idle)? One pilot said full forward would open all internal “valves”, but wouldn’t that also set up a cylinder or two to try and compress that air? Or go idle to secure the engine completely?

Prop handle full forward (flat pitch) or full aft (streamlined, near-feathered)? Flat pitch creates frontal drag. Prop handle full aft streamlines the prop reducing drag: However, one pilot said it may allow the prop to turn, which can decrease airspeed and disrupt airflow across the tail. Will this matter with no hydraulic oil pressure to move the prop?

Fights on.

Throttle: full forward - Reduce pumping losses assuming a windmilling prop (although I'm not sure it matters too much)
Prop: full coarse - Reduce drag (I think this is probably the more important of the two)

Lots of factors that I think about - do I still have enough oil pressure to adjust the prop? My instinct tells me to get it into the coarsest pitch ASAP in case it dumps all oil - will it stay at course pitch if I lose oil? No idea.

If I have a field made, and I just want to land, I certainly don't want the engine to start for a few seconds just before touching down, so I'd pull the throttle back, mixture, ignitions, and probably turn off fuel if I have time and still have a neuron or two firing (unlikely for me).

Here's what I hope I will do if I lose an engine - but no idea what will really happen.
  1. pitch and trim for best glide (if appropriate)
  2. fuel pump on
  3. change tanks
  4. mixture rich
  5. slowly lean mixture (in case it died due to being too rich)
  6. power cycle each electronic ignition (slowly, one at a time)
  7. touch "nearest airport" on EFB and head in that direction (if I can make it)
No restart?
  1. pull back blue knob - if I need a bit more glide
  2. activate PLB
  3. declare emergency
  4. close fuel valve
  5. tighten seat belts until I can't breath
  6. brief passenger to do the same
  7. deploy appropriate flaps when close to landing
  8. power off everything
  9. fly it as far into the crash as possible
Probably missing some critical points, but these are my memory items.

Back