What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount/nosegear socket paint failure?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
with about 110 hrs on this mount & nosegear, the powdercoat has started flaking off some of the welds.
After chipping away the loose stuff, the welds and metal beneath look ok to my eye....should I be looking deeper at this?
I expected nicer looking tubing, this appears kind of rough around the weld, but perhaps that's normal, depending on the prep prior to coating.
No obvious tell-tale cracking at any of the joints or other welds, just this flaking......does this indicate movement?
IMG_1510_zps4dfd2d02.jpg

896b6be3-8925-4d5d-8b4c-5e3570144090_zpsd7e55414.jpg

(sorry for the big pics, photobucket didn't seem to want to resize right!)

Good news/bad news.

I used brittle lacquer in college as a strain (stress) indicator. This does not look like stress precipitated cracking. It looks like a paint preparation issue.

Not what you want to hear, but glass beading and painting seems to be in order, that corrosion should have an expert look at it. Just my opinion.

BTW the picture size is perfect.

My Cessna 180 has powder-coated landing gear, engine mount and baffles. No way would I use that stuff again. It's just not very robust.

That said, I agree with BillL that it looks more like a prep issue than a stress issue.

Dave

Back