What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine installation finally DONE!

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
When I committed to an IO390 in an RV7, I knew I was going to be pretty much on my own as far as instructions, FWF kit, etc.

At this point, There are a couple of minor things where it makes more sense to hold off and do them when I'm closer to first engine start, but for the most part, then engine installation is as done as I can make it in my garage.

The final task that put it over the top? Drilling a #19 weep hole at the lowest point of the snorkel per the RV14 baffle installation plans. Total time to accomplish, about 30 seconds.

I really, really, appreciate everybody who offered up opinions, experience and in some cases photos from their own airplanes that helped me figure out how the heck to cram everything under the hood on this.

If I can return the favor for someone on down the road, please don't hesitate to look me up :)

Attachments

• IMG_8907.jpg
    IMG_8907.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_8908.jpg
    IMG_8908.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_8909.jpg
    IMG_8909.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_8910.jpg
    IMG_8910.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 329
Nicely done

It looks great. You have used up every available inch of space behind that engine. That 390 is a tight fit.

What is the tube attached to the oil filler?

It's a return line for a homemade closed loop engine dehydrator. It's sucking air out through the breather tube, running it through a desiccant canister and pumping it back into the breather tube. Keeps the engine internals at less that 10% humidity.

"the "device"

Attachments

• IMG_8627.jpg
    IMG_8627.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Looks like you used all of the 14 baffling? Where did you source your oil cooler setup?

Last edited:
Looks like you used all of the 14 baffling? Where did you source your oil cooler setup?

I did use the 14 baffles, but they needed to be modified quite a bit. I'm not sure it was really any easier than a generic baffle kit for an angle valve 360.

The oil cooler is a pacific aero 13 row oil cooler P/N 8000215 on an RV10 firewall plenum on the l/h side.

Stephen Christopher had his engine off for an overhaul and he was kind enough to send me measurements of where he located the same plenum on his and I just basically copied that location.

There's a 4" scat tube from the plenum to a airflow systems butterfly on the l/h aft baffle.

I mocked up the lines to get the lengths right, then ordered custom lengths from TS flightlines. In this particular case, it worked out better to have the lines coming off the bottom, so I contacted Pacific Aero and got written confirmation from their engineering tech support that it was no problem mounting this oil cooler upside down.

there are more pix and details in my build log.

Terry,

Make sure to put on two heat shields adjacent to the RED Cube on the #2 and #4 exhaust headers.

Nicely done. Yep, pretty busy in there and so I can appreciate the challenge. You’d be one of the few people I would let wrench on my airplane. Cheers.

Back