What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine control knob spacing??

Hiya folks, so I have just installed my engine control knobs (all three plus cabin heat knob) on my panel and sub panel. Having shaped the outside edges of the bracket F-746 to take off the corners and better suit the asthetic of my panel, and then spaced the knobs as best I can with the space available I end up with a very tight fit when applying my hand to the knobs - and I have very small hands. An average sized male would likely not be able to get his hands on the knobs as required for normal operation.

I have a history with the Cessna types and have never encountered this on any of them or any general aviation types I have flown. I searched online for some sort of indication of minimum spacing for the knobs but can't find anything.

Can anyone suggest what this spacing should be? Given the F-746 bracket dimensions I suspect I will have to fabricate a custom, longer bracket that fits the panel to replace this one which in any case has to be redone.

465874_10150716907570671_541030670_10056270_50244197_o.jpg

Please excuse the rather large image, this forum does not seem to include the more advanced image/attachment processor that I am used to on the many other forums to which I am registered. It seems I can only include an already hosted image with no options for editing or resizing that image.:confused::mad:

..spacing sounds good, how about location?

just HAVE to comment here that the F-746 bracket is the perfect device if you want to chop you knee off, as you legs fly up and flail around in an accident.
Watch some crash videos on you tube..the weight of your feet cause them to be propelled forward, bend, flop from side to side etc.
I put a little split vacuum hose on the edge of mine, but really wish it weren't even there!...or was a thick round profile of some kind at least.
I totally understand folks that put them on a centre console, or up on the lower edge of the panel proper...which I'm sure is a pain for cable routing etc.....but.....what price your legs?

Have you asked Vans about the removal of the floor stiffener web shown in the pic?

It's not a usual modification.

I would certainly consider reworking this engine control arrangement. I have flown many side by side RVs and some have the throttle way too far to the left. I spent lots of time sitting in my new -7 and placed the throttle exactly in the middle of the panel. The prop and mixture are spaced to the right 2.75 inches apart. Remember your stick must clear all of the engine controls when moving the ailerons and elevator to their limits. I found this spacing cleared the stick when I cut it off to a comfortable length. And certainly consider the edges of the engine control bracket for safety. Be sure they are well rounded and padded with some type of edging material. One of our local builders cut his leg quite severely in turbulence on this bracket several years ago.

Last edited:
2.375-2.5 inches?

I was wondering the same and measured a C172. They all were not equal, but it was about 2 3/8 to 2 1/2 inches apart. I have planned my panel (SteinAir Built) around that, but could still move them. How far apart are yours?

Like Stein says, my 2 cents, just numbers, not an endorsement.

I put the cabin heat and alt air controls below and between the main engine control knobs on the bracket so that there would be more space. Works well. Can't remember who, but someone used to sell a curved bracket like yours, except that it had a 0.5 inch edge piece welded to the bottom edge at a right angle ( extending toward the engine) to give the bracket some depth and asthetic appeal. Would also reduce the potential for it to act as a leg cutter in an accident.

Erich

Back