What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine advice

CaptPausert

I have an opportunity to buy a freshly overhauled O-360 from an A&P I know it has standard mags and carburetor and he is asking $30,000. The equivalent new through Vans is $37,000 and I talked to Superior engines and although they are not quoting XP-360s right now they are asking for $36,000 for the XP-320 everywhere else I have called is even more.

In the current market is $30,000 about as good as I am likely to get or is there somewhere else I should look? I was kind of wanting to have fuel injection and electronic ignition but even at $30K I can still add the EFII System 32 and still be about the price from vans or superior.

I have an opportunity to buy a freshly overhauled O-360 from an A&P I know it has standard mags and carburetor and he is asking $30,000. The equivalent new through Vans is $37,000 and I talked to Superior engines and although they are not quoting XP-360s right now they are asking for $36,000 for the XP-320 everywhere else I have called is even more.
In the current market is $30,000 about as good as I am likely to get or is there somewhere else I should look? I was kind of wanting to have fuel injection and electronic ignition but even at $30K I can still add the EFII System 32 and still be about the price from vans or superior.

First off, a 0-SMOH is not the equivalent to a new engine.

Other important considerations might be the reputation of the A&P builder and lead time on that new engine.

As I understand it, these new engines are not waiting on the shelf.

The A&P is good. he rebuilds aircraft for fun has an A&P and IA and is a senior engineer at Pratt & Whitney on military turbine engines I worked with him for 6 years. The work I have seen from him is good. The parts were routed out for inspection/repair he did the assembly.

As far as the time is concerned I will be at least a year before I mount the engine so my main concern is cost. I figure the cost of the engines is just going to keep going up and not come down.

I understand that a reworked engine is not the same as new but I don't think for my usage the extra $7K or more is worth it. I want either an overhauled or new engine I am not planning on using a used engine with no rework on it. The price increases in the last couple of years is pushing my budget a bit. I don't really want to cut my avionics plan. So I switched to a fixed pitch prop and this is what I am looking at for engine.

The A&P is good. he rebuilds aircraft for fun has an A&P and IA and is a senior engineer at Pratt & Whitney on military turbine engines I worked with him for 6 years. The work I have seen from him is good. The parts were routed out for inspection/repair he did the assembly.
As far as the time is concerned I will be at least a year before I mount the engine so my main concern is cost. I figure the cost of the engines is just going to keep going up and not come down.
I understand that a reworked engine is not the same as new but I don't think for my usage the extra $7K or more is worth it. I want either an overhauled or new engine I am not planning on using a used engine with no rework on it. The price increases in the last couple of years is pushing my budget a bit. I don't really want to cut my avionics plan. So I switched to a fixed pitch prop and this is what I am looking at for engine.

Understand completely. Looks like you're covering all bases. For what it's worth, I have absolutely no problem with overhauled engines as long as it is done correctly.

First or second Overhaul?

To new or service limits?

Is resell value going to matter to you?

Nothing right or wrong here, just throwing out some things to help complete or muddle the picture.

Don't forget to inquire at Titan. Their prices were better than Vans a while back.

Best of luck.

First overhaul. to new limits. Resell does not matter I intend to fly it to the next overhaul. It is all certified parts. And I inquired at titan and the prices were $41-47K

First overhaul. to new limits. Resell does not matter I intend to fly it to the next overhaul. It is all certified parts. And I inquired at titan and the prices were $41-47K

Treat it right, fly it regularly and it will easily go 3,000 hrs. and beyond!

I intend to fly it to the next overhaul.

Just as a point of reference, I had my engine overhauled and I'm still flying behind it 23 years later! I figure it's good for another 10 to 15 years of flying. A good overhaul can outlast the owner/pilot.

Get a good overhauled engine and don't worry about the unnecessary "like to have" stuff. Just go out, appreciate what you end up with, and enjoy a very long run of flying enjoyment.

Still learning the piston engine stuff. I worked as an engineer for the USAF on turbine engines for 12 years before switching to airframe so I can discuss turbines all day long but not a lot of experience with piston engines beyond flying behind them:D

Personally, I would take a new engine over an overhauled one every time.
(In fact I sold my 'old' engine at 1500 hrs and purchased a new one rather than rebuid it).
Much of the problem with used/OH'd engines is the lack of history.
Even OH'd to new specs is not the same as NEW.
You might look into Superior's reputation before you send them your $$.

Overhauled

I have a Lycoming narrow deck O-360 installed in my RV-7. The engine was originally manufactured in 1959 and it has over 6,000 hours of total time. It has been overhauled three times in that service history and it is still going strong today.

An engine that is overhauled correctly, flown regularly and maintained properly will last a very long time.

Back