What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

End of an Era: FalsiFighter is SOLD!

goatflieg

Well Known Member
It’s true. I sold my beloved RV-8.
The process started at OSH this year when I met Mark Murphy on a tram. Mark is a corporate pilot who also flies warbirds and is a type rated P-51 instructor who was in the market for an RV-8. He visited the airplane at Homebuilt Camping; we stayed in touch and I made plans to visit his home base.
On Wednesday, October 18 I climbed into my RV-8 and flew across Ontario and over Niagara Falls enroute to mid-state NY. I landed at Fulton County (KIAG) where I was greeted by Mark's son Jonathan.
ADCreHdW6XyJHaIqHmo4did6d_6altKRIaPdzz40t2JudQGpZ5ZsTp8-iSuv1pbmavBcaIT8tfZJSkPE0cTrGnIwfCuKpfDE9319dIKc9d7IwMsx7Aip-B0ogAMVl6PS5-LBaaOXBpQk17zLyWJUPFOPSX13TA=w648-h486-s

ADCreHcMxnews4JCBfvjyDb6tH0xLEnZKDi40KjYE-CiwnInY1LXtgcFod4OkoBtjNSWGGc_iL4dLQc8eI8bCjF0eQyZ0chKOxrV-hz3C96RForb3-ztEU-C732-dxcXeThATBvW6t2GouL4YrLWXLmadqHviA=w648-h432-s

After refueling, I followed John in the family Bonanza over to their private grass strip near Perth. The runway is fairly long; the approach end is slightly uphill and the runway crests before heading downhill. My landing was a bit of a bouncer due to the unfamiliar sight picture but I got in on the first try. After shutdown John gave me a mind-blowing tour of the family facility created by his father Dave; many hangars nestled into a hillside interconnected with stairways and tunnels, housing an impressive collection of aircraft and artifacts. Mark joined us and we had lunch at his nearby house before returning to the home field, hopping in his Bonanza and flying IFR to another airport where he could give me a ride in a P-51. After that thrill, we headed back home for dinner, beer and bed.
That was just the first day of a nonstop whirlwind four-day experience.
ADCreHfKNEQFU7wKgQvHSAAfmpsJC28bZ3JoS8Q8iVwmACHMUoM8s2BoQ8EFKa_K04ohz4LgW_6LQoXJ5DhNZqVDwzuVuRJDlF1t-IXvJW5WUlrcoXBUPQRxrH_22YRE-sXrltdA0slsWJDCXecfJwyQd5p3gQ=w648-h432-s

ADCreHf1fuoA5XXaTu4iVY0k6A2ekyzs3uxxqG5UCjEhVjpOE83M4LNkV2m6xV2GT86o0shclWFIMAPR58AZz16fMOL5_j5eLwFTHdIH4yVrqtoRbTQKkheEZEf0_Rzm-M_wH8Xu6Pj_C2qB1tKm4acfoPINWg=w648-h486-s

ADCreHdem16EU5rNRWSWeEMuEx4SFTty9dvwQIY2cxkViVwnFi9t8wD_SDgStIYiu9bfg9Km97N3TdV3x-tvpe5d72aRdktqA7ipW3PLPhNfvSwCE-sr4QQByq8o7BJrHLJM9cD1H31TTlW-YB3yY9CjXLNUJA=w648-h360-s

Thursday morning we ran some errands and I met more family members. Back at home base I gave Mark and John a more detailed introduction to the RV-8 before they climbed in and gave it a quick test flight. Kind of an awkward moment for me. Aside from test pilot Dave Carrick, I had been the only person to pilot my creation until now.
ADCreHdWZuHs8PCAc29ejz-xKe20u_MAaY1t6lpTUQjG-O5gtEshEtiicbfxOdin3Svr3lVv_zdLNigxMkZe39wniqGHdrOqbzgwXwry7oktJd3zeG_dk_mcJIyFmJA1GAa5GOdwMr8qKbEgal4RxPBrrlv3ww=w648-h360-s

They returned with the iconic RV Grin on their faces and suggested I go flying. I took off and did a quick recon flight. Upon returning it took me a minute to find the home field that blended in so well with the surrounding countryside. I wasn't happy with the first landing, so I went around for a second attempt that went much better. While taxiing in, I wondered aloud if that may have been my final flight in my beloved aircraft. As it turns out, it was. This photo captured the last time I would ever sit in that cockpit.
ADCreHemaq1v6ryGDYTLHsvVCugzGfTQXVIekd7W6ZjtiYkTudlhpBeYZpnnGzIUBmLxtLTyESbIoCs3_EqX8aTnzR2PXAnwMjbUb6rDb9LJ6kzmpYRXJ-7o7XuKPhKPNbSkFY5Bek74DZjdLDQTr6y80rXb7g=w648-h486-s

I removed the cowling for an in-depth inspection while they prepared their Stearman for a pending sale. Mark's brother Rodney stopped by and he and Mark looked the airplane over. Afterward I refitted the cowl and we did a preflight inspection. Mark's wife Inka was returning from a trip that evening and as soon as she arrived they took the airplane up for a brief hop. Mark wanted to make sure she would be ok with this new acquisition. They both returned wearing RV Grins; a very good sign indeed.
ADCreHdMhzBkwoBFPedYDsIHwSLRz5E5AyUEoAO83VwYvaHXav0t4GNdsObfhTUnvTZnEXIEVaEBIFzMsfwuWVV5d7CK7uK38sxiuthOM5aGoFBSznD9Dqz2KJfdkSg5MjRICtO0Tk0bRZ9e33v53HR7-Xvhnw=w648-h486-s

ADCreHfo2SRL4gYT1HlKV3i17LmqqV0iVNv2i5HmJrmvhm5BZELR50Ngr4nVTlFulY4zfvQgGGrZ6pjzSdar6hNfLr9MObtJNfgRDdPJ91OA8_bKkcGg3zG6BDCrnyye650bPNDzdtxe-zTPKKm_dvkB3Mewcw=w648-h360-s

continued

That evening Mark and Inka hosted a large family gathering at their home including their live-in nanny Sandra and her family. They are a close-knit extended family of warm-hearted, wise and wonderful people and I felt honored to attend.
Friday morning we sorted out the conditions of the sale. I would accept a deposit, leave the aircraft there and catch a Delta flight home from Albany on Sunday. The balance would be paid within a week. I'd gotten to know Mark and his family pretty well. They were good, honest and open folks that lived a fast-paced life with expertise, grace and optimism. I knew they could be trusted. Mike and John spent half the day in their paint booth, painting control surfaces of one of their T-6s that was being rebuilt. I spent some of the time hanging out with some of their warbirds (P-51, T-34, Meyers OTW and others) and sorting out which RV-8 tools and accessories would remain with the aircraft. Mark and John are shorter than me, so that afternoon they got to work on moving the RV-8 rudder pedals aft. I'd installed the ground-adjustable pedals that required removing the forward baggage floor, removing the transponder unit and loosening the forward baggage wall to detach and relocate the rudder pedals. It was a difficult job that probably would have taken me two days; they had it done in two hours. In doing so, they effectively sealed the deal as I would no longer fit in the cockpit. I couldn't have flown the aircraft again even if I wanted to.
ADCreHf1_eEGSFXn382T-RzOex9f4VAv5lv1dyiAxZbnZN4HxvttrFIOX1Idf5fVG11JxWKYSwNvBROIs1QIE2rK-skQOk2iSaAv4MKhPJNkdeulblMjLtf12DJMSwvyFdMsRXr-1FntFre1NJ0UadwwIDoOhg=w648-h486-s

ADCreHcERTH0-2WSSGFSOB2fMF6ZCORNIgo-zNBihdOLTyHfdmpUu3baq_ZzRwdhM-XE2lPFbroglJprh7jZg6ZpXjyjkZcno53toJ7Ep9B8PdrASWA_J_30vkYGMSrzLr09blF2Zcca9tYJt5fwbkhGKdHXNg=w648-h486-s

While they were working on the pedals I spent some time exploring the grounds on one of their motorcycles, riding along the existing runway and the former runway that led to the back of Mark's house. While I was riding I got a call from one of my doctors informing me of more medical conditions that may lead to me being grounded permanently. My brain was already reeling from the fast pace we'd been moving at for the past 48 hours. This additional news filled me with lots of conflicting emotions as I pondered how much and how fast my life was changing and how serendipitous the timing was for this sale.
When their rudder pedal work was done I asked to be alone with the aircraft for a while. I said my goodbyes to my loyal creation quietly, touching her on the prop and cowling as I usually did after flying. I assured her that she was in very good hands and would be very well cared for. I set up the camera and made a video clip that was intended to announce the sale on my YouTube channel. Although I managed to avoid getting choked up, the words didn't come easily. My spinning brain wasn't capable of improvising a brief and succinct message and the clip is pretty much unusable, but it did serve as an adequate moment of closure. I took a few more photos of the plane in its new home, turned out the lights and drove back to Mark's house where we took care of the sale paperwork and deposit before dinner. Everyone else had plans that evening so I had the house to myself. I sipped beer downstairs in Mark's magnificent Officer's Club, admiring his collection of artifacts and pondering my past, present, and future place in aviation.
ADCreHcOUwN7OrwKZewrwsw3khU1ilFe31w4uaSi7PvKPBR7h2vrRR5Y2d8euuoISXfwMvr7Ry2OHUKcmHlrjn3CUitVvHJrsTW3P-3lrL_H6829TqSl5K1QO3tVQFTjfYFaiRl7wWcCcCsje5dE_mI2CVHOEA=w648-h360-s

ADCreHegxnRCuB1VMBk2EveZt_Wrd7kciLyX0pvR8d3I_UMIGmxQvKiTF2aXx_R5fSjbJ5RTMAOtuMWMhWkfIycMV19TnW7eOP8oKzIaVoMtHGZQPCXrXMs-xIl0m_09ewZZUNS8eTiG0_ed71aW1E6veatDPQ=w648-h360-s

Saturday morning Mark and John worked on exchanging Foreflight data from my iPad to his iPad. We scrambled to box up the tools and belongings that would need to be shipped back to my home as it was too much to manage as luggage. We got it to UPS before they closed early. The rest of the day was spent hanging out at the hangars, processing photos and watching each other's YouTube videos. Mark treated us to a great dinner at the Rustic Loft restaurant, then we returned home for more processing and trip prep.
Early Sunday morning Mark drove me to the airport and I caught the nonstop flight from Albany to Detroit. I caught a Metro Car ride back to my hangar where I picked up my car. Over the next few days I sorted out the extras that went with the sale at home and at the hangar. Mark flew his Bonanza into PTK on Tuesday, packed it full of the extras in a way that I wouldn't have believed possible, and flew home safely. I'm certain I'll be visiting him again in the future, perhaps for some T-34 time. Mark and his family will remain my close friends for life.
Thus ends the saga of Falsi-Fighter. Eventually she will be repainted to match the family P-51 "NeverMiss", but Mark kept his promise to send me some good air-to-air photos of her before the livery change.
ADCreHd_LeSn82rY4AQL-pVBkWO3LHyDz4gQp04zVcMrb266I1kywGrdUrKWzo6jXt78Z1cWjStqHrV_zUQhHPPYB2NHmSgdl_DApvwvfVBv-dWDWwelBaQjvMvvpR0XDOMoPsfKDS9IZcgxe9sOsmThJCBS8Q=w648-h486-s

ADCreHfnGzwFzQSd7ydDk4Eoy6f-wkmvdq_zV1ihChDkd0FKU9jac_kGodBM57jxBvQjC855ccoRkQXNolvXjnmmpOYFiCsQpfq3XVieHzBdL6Be8so0GF-WYKm1A4LZh5p4akFmIXzbL44CK16KkC_Z4HXFcA=w648-h450-s

ADCreHcqR22ncuvYNH9KWL70wL8i0t5Nr3Hu9_GZylUcY4PdHf4BnmwEaYifB4DaSR2WFV9TVqqM8LFmt1jHkDyDKpuCOlxkMd_f3BGoc06xAUNO-FCtOwsR5G91FNSdZr1xGO0ggR18JWshMJ0Nhm3LxwoBFg=w648-h432-s

ADCreHciJ0PxKntIc2tldzEUhWQKz2MUcWMkGb3Ij6wWrutGv9tj2D3_S7-AiRg1yLEsgk0BnnJ5dV5548klfEIuWb0JkLB9xfZQYv8vZYfVhkecVqiU-mq9cD-TnRhn13bPXdKoMDNpr0obW1_3vdVb1zI0gw=w648-h504-s

ADCreHfh-OjI1IL6y52KfAnNJ6UKV5QIja3bnHoJEjEQdn6HumBO_8EooVMU6nwH2aOJ1hJZEHdjHExwWlKZAMbG6vzHhlmDg9xms-Dd2LgSOgIFyWt1AzWb8kfMzzLDI9b7VcbrhvdJ_NxUg0wt7CZF6llYYg=w648-h432-s

It will take me months to sort all the photos and video clips I captured into something I'll be able to share as a presentation or on my YouTube channel, but at least I can put this out now.
Why did I sell it? It’s become obvious to Amy and I this year that our financial situation with the aircraft was unsustainable in the long run, and the long run quickly evolved into the short run. Although I still loved to fly the aircraft and those abilities remain undiminished, other minor medical issues I’ve been facing due to aging made me question how long I would be able to maintain the aircraft myself. All these factors started to worry me and the burden seemed to be growing. I had many other dreams I wanted to achieve with the aircraft and I will regret not being able to achieve them. But when I started the project I promised myself that if I managed to complete the build and fly the airplane, everything else was cake. Once I started flying, I developed a taste for the cake; I may have even become a cake addict, as it were. Withdrawal will be uncomfortable at times, and I felt many conflicting emotions during this process. But when the deal was struck and the sale process began I didn’t feel regret; I didn’t feel remorse; I didn’t feel resentment. I felt relief. The timing was right to sell it and I found the perfect buyer, and I find comfort in all that.
Still not sure what my future holds, but I'll still stay involved with aviation, VAF and all my EAA and RV friends. As always, I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
NY

I have heard about that private airport and the collection of airplanes. My initial flight training was near Utica NY.

I have heard about that private airport and the collection of airplanes. My initial flight training was near Utica NY.

Yes. Please do not divulge any additional information here about the home base or the other airport where I got the P-51 ride. I wish to respect the privacy of both.

Last edited:
Sorry to read about your medical issues!

Also, about needing to sell the plane....

But congratulations on finding the perfect buyers for it.

All the best wishes, looking ahead.
Dave

Martin,
Sorry to hear you sold her, but life happens!
It was nice to meeting you at OSH this year.
Hopefully you will remain in the VAF community and best of luck to you.

The saga of Falsi-Fighter.

It’s true. I sold my beloved RV-8
Your post was one of the most sad I have read on this forum. The picture of you standing forlornly in front of your beloved RV sent me to tears. I am SO BUMMED you are giving your pride and joy to another set of (capable) hands. The pictures of someone else flying YOUR airplane made me a little mad, actually. NO one has ever flown that airplane but YOU. All things must change, I guess. Your post expressed all of the things I fear of what might transpire in the future. I am hoping it is my heirs that will have to deal with all of that.

I hope you will be fine with this major life change. I hope the medical issues that grounded you are correctable and treatable. Having gone through my own little Dance with The Grim Reaper, I can identify with what you might be going trough. One of the only things that kept me going during my treatment, however, was being able to jump into SuzieQ and leave all of that behind, physically and mentally. (Don't get me started about the FAA.....:mad:) I'm sure you have enough friends that will frequently throw you into their airplanes and give you a taste of the Sky.

And you need to keep in touch through this forum. I will miss your U-Tube posts.

Be well, my RV friend. You will always be associated with that beautiful bird even if they change the paint scheme. Blue Skies.....

Your post was one of the most sad I have read on this forum. The picture of you standing forlornly in front of your beloved RV sent me to tears. I am SO BUMMED you are giving your pride and joy to another set of (capable) hands. The pictures of someone else flying YOUR airplane made me a little mad, actually. NO one has ever flown that airplane but YOU. All things must change, I guess. Your post expressed all of the things I fear of what might transpire in the future. I am hoping it is my heirs that will have to deal with all of that.

I hope you will be fine with this major life change. I hope the medical issues that grounded you are correctable and treatable. Having gone through my own little Dance with The Grim Reaper, I can identify with what you might be going trough. One of the only things that kept me going during my treatment, however, was being able to jump into SuzieQ and leave all of that behind, physically and mentally. (Don't get me started about the FAA.....:mad:) I'm sure you have enough friends that will frequently throw you into their airplanes and give you a taste of the Sky.

And you need to keep in touch through this forum. I will miss your U-Tube posts.

Be well, my RV friend. You will always be associated with that beautiful bird even if they change the paint scheme. Blue Skies.....

First of all, I understand your emotional reaction. I got it when reviewing this thread! But do not weep for me, for all is good. I find it interesting that you mentioned your heirs would have to deal with all that. Part of my feeling relief is that my heirs won't have to deal with that.
As for the medical issues, I feel fortunate I didn't have to go through what you did. I was never grounded and my medical is still valid, but will lapse at the end of this month. I'm now in direct contact with the FAA (instead of through my AME) and should have an ultimate verdict within a month. I understand your chagrin at dealing with the bureaucracy, but it's a mandatory hoop. If I can't jump through it this particular time, there are options for the future.
I do intend to stay in touch with VAF; I'm part of the community and the community is part of me. That won't change. And don't worry about the YouTube content. I have a LOT of archived videos that will be released, not to mention all that was generated during this trip.
And yes, FalsiFighter will always be mine. In that respect, I'm almost glad that Mark is planning a change of the paint scheme. It will remain the aircraft I built, but it will no longer be the aircraft I flew.

Last edited:
Martin,
Thanks for the chance to formation fly with you and get to know you. Best of luck and hope you get the chance to fly some more. Come on over to KTEW most anytime and there is someone to fly with!

Martin,

If I understand your situation correctly, I would strongly recommend that you get on Basic Med ASAP before your medical expires. Lots of options after that.

Thanks for your contributions to the VAF, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Martin,
Thanks for the chance to formation fly with you and get to know you. Best of luck and hope you get the chance to fly some more. Come on over to KTEW most anytime and there is someone to fly with!
Thank you Rocky. I shall indeed be making that trip in the future.

Oshkosh 2023

Martin,

Nice meeting you ar the big event. I was tied down next to you, one row west.
You said you were selling during our visit. Wow! You even managed to make That an interesting story.
Just met you,, and now you are stepping away,, hopefully not gone.

Safe travels

All the best to you, Marty

It's been repeatedly said, "As a pilot, only two bad things can happen to you, and one of them will. 1) One day, you will walk out to the aircraft knowing that it is your last flight. 2) One day, you will walk out to the airplane, NOT knowing that it is your last flight." I am happy that you got to experience a year+ of the "cake" and you were able to choose the better, bad option. I wish you the very best in your future endeavors and want you to know it was a pleasure to finally get to meet you in person at OSH '22 after following along with your build and learning so much from your log (and I still am). Although we only spent a few minutes by your bird, talking about building airplanes, life, and family, I feel for my friend who had to make the hard decision with his labor of love.

Hope to talk again soon and I look forward to reading about your next adventures!
Jim

Hi Martin,

that is sad - but life is happening. You were mentioning selling your RV-8 at Oshkosh but I didn´t expect it to happen that soon. It was nice meeting you there and in 2019 at Brighton. Thanks again for the pictures you made while being there.
It looks like your plane is in good hands - looking forward seeing your videos and meeting you again. Wishing you all the best.

Falsifighter is Sold

To all in the realm of Van's Air Force hear this: We should not be sad for Marty, we should stand up cheer for him! Marty meticulously built his RV-8 and it was perfect in so many ways. He had a specific vision of what he wanted it to be and made it happen with his own two hands and a monster amount of brain bites. I saw the airplane in various stages of construction, and wondered if he could bring it all together. I wonder no more. He suffered through the Superior crankshaft debacle, removed the engine from his build, purchased a new crankshaft, had the engine prepped again and kept building. Marty flew with Bruce Bohannan to get the proficiency he needed to fly the airplane with finesse and no fear. I've watched him fly and I've flown formation just a bit with him. With Falsifighter he became a master in the air. We should all stand up now, give a huge cheer, and sing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" because he's that and so much more. Marty, I salute you for building a marvelous airplane against many odds, and I will always stand in awe of all that you accomplish each and every day.

To Dave, Mike, Michael, Benny, Rocky, David, Jay, Jim, Terry (especially) Doug (especially) and the entire VAF and EAA communities (very especially) I give my most sincere thanks for helping me to achieve this goal. My only regret is that I didn't start it 10 or 20 years earlier, but not unlike the ending of the Wizard of Oz, maybe I wouldn't have understood. I had to learn for myself. But I was never alone on the journey, and all your support was a huge reason I made it as far as I did. I'll always be grateful, I will never forget, and I will always be a part of our communities.

Martin I'm sorry it has come to this. Like you said, getting airborne was the dream, the rest was cake. At least you tasted the cake! Always enjoyed your unique since of sarcasm in your online posts and videos. I think you truly understand the journey was the reward!

We've never met and probably never will, I don't live all that far from you as the crow flies. I wish you all the best with the future. Hoping one day to have my own RV-8 grin.

Back