What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator trim tab "neutral" position

bomber_JB

Doing final calibrations on flaps, aileron and elevator trim tabs on G3X touch screens prior to inspection and 1st flight. Flaps and aileron trim tabs no problem.

Full up trim on RV-10 is 35 degrees on both tabs per the book. Got it. Because of the eccentric lever the right cable moves 2" and the left cable moves 1 1/8". Full down trim has the left tab even with the elevator and the right tab up a bit (rats but I didn't write it down before this message).

So I have full up and down trim locations nailed. Where is neutral? If I'm in full down and move the trim in the direction of "UP" the left tab departs from even with the elevator and goes down and the right trim tab travels down at a faster rate.

Where's neutral? Both tabs down at the same angle? That would result in slightly nose up trim situation. Do I set the "neutral" setting where it feels good?

Comments welcome

Thanks

Jerry

Trim

Jerry,
A friend just went through the same concern. I took flying him in my -10 and showed him that it was easily controllable at full up or full down trim at speeds below 100 knots.

My point is that it will fly fine if your pitch indicator is not perfectly set.

what is the point of finding neutral? Are you referring to the tick mark for setting the TO position? That should be done via trial and error.

Also, be sure to follow Tim O's linked article on setting trim tabs. If you follow the plans, the tabs will not be in synch in most flight regimes and put unnecessary stress on the elev assembly. That article is a must read.

Larry

Also, be sure to follow Tim O's linked article on setting trim tabs. If you follow the plans, the tabs will not be in synch in most flight regimes and put unnecessary stress on the elev assembly. That article is a must read.

Larry[/QUOTE]

Where is a link to Tim o’s artical?

Here is where the info lives.
https://www.myrv10.com/tips/trimming/index.html

Highly recommend that you set the trim as follows:
1. Run the trim servo to full nose up.
2. Set the starboard trim tab trailing edge to 3 inches below elevator trailing edge.
3. Run the starboard trim tab to trail.
4. Set the port trim tab to trail.

Using these settings you will be able to trim out all pitch forces during final with the CG forward.

Bill DeRouchey
N939SB, flying straight

Hope this helps

john

Back