What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Degrees Up and Down

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
I am having a problem with the forward rounded edge of the elevators slightly rubbing a rivet on the main HS spar when the elevator is in the extreme upward position. Can anyone tell me what the degrees are for the up and down positions of the elevators? If the required upward angle is lower than the extreme I'm experiencing, there may not be a problem.

I'm working on my wings now, but occasionly work on the unfinished fiberglass on the tail kit. I think I'm having denial and avoidance issues now since it's time for Proseal for the tanks. Yuk.

Elevator travel

Should be listed in Chapter 5 of your instructions, at least I believe that's where it is in mine.

Also, you can get more clearance by screwing out the bearings a turn or two. I wouldn't worry about this until you mount the HS and elevators onto the fuse. Get crackin' on those tanks! :)

Yup, you're right, thar' tis...
Maybe one of these days the instructions will be online or on some software to allow searches for stuff like this.

Have a goodun!

Just happen to see this post and correct if I'm wrong, but if you already drilled the elevator horns, moving the rod bearings out would put those holes out of alignment.

I went out to the shop and checked the elevator up an down angle with my smart level. The rubbing starts when I go beyond 30 degrees. So I should be OK as long as I keep the upward angle less than that.

No problem Mate

Smitty, when you finally install the stops, the travel will be limited so it probably will be fine.

Back