What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronic Ignition Problems

Pete said:

"It will have little to no advance at full power and goes to higher advance at lower MP and RPM."

Im sure you are correct, but this is backward to what I had pictured in my head. I thought that with increasing RPM, you would want to fire the spark EARLIER (more advance) so that peak pressure is achieved when there is the best mechanical advantage.

Could you explain the logic here so I can get this straight?

erich

Problem description

dan said:
I'm curious how and why this failure mode occurs?

Tom at E-mag had a chance to look at the bad mag, and he said that the magnet loosened on its mount. For those that are new to e-mags, the only moving part is a spindle with a drive gear on one end and a magnet on the other end. The position of the magnet is read by a very accurate solid-state sensor in the mag housing. Tom said they changed the material and process by which the magnet is held in place a few months ago. He said they also change it any time a mag comes in for a firmware upgrade. Have not had any issues in the 30 hours or so since replacing the mag.

The e-mag guys were really great about getting a new unit out to me when the plane was down. :)

MCA said:
Tom said they changed the material and process by which the magnet is held in place a few months ago. He said they also change it any time a mag comes in for a firmware upgrade. Have not had any issues in the 30 hours or so since replacing the mag.

The e-mag guys were really great about getting a new unit out to me when the plane was down. :)
Great to hear given that I just sent mine in for updates before first flight. I was hoping they made a change to the magnet attachment. Thanks very much for the update.

petehowell said:

I spoke with Jeff Rose some years ago at OSH when running with his unit and one mag. He was among the first to develope and sell an electronic system for the Lycoming. He knew his stuff and whether or not he is still in business, I don't know. But the system, simple as it was, worked well. Timing was based on rpm and manifold pressure. With a simple voltmeter, the pilot was able to monitor timing at all times. During taxi at idle, it was at 32 degrees and as power was pushed up for take off, it dropped back to 24-25. Ease the throttle back for climb and it would advance to 28 or so. The system worked and sure kept the plugs clean.

Fast forward to 2007. Now I'm looking at Subaru timing with an OBDII scanner hard wired in and stored in the glove box. There is much about the magic of the ECU I do not understand but this much I know. Even with a 10.7:1 compression ratio, the thing figures out timing whether the fuel is 100LL or 87 mogas. I've checked it on take off with different octane fuels. Like Lycoming 24-25 degrees is what shows up on take off, except with a lower octane fuel, it slightly retarded. I think this happens as a result of knock sensing, however that works. In flight, at very low local cruise power, I have seen it running at 37 degrees.

Problems? None so far. I'm sure stuff can go wrong but so far it is the cat's meow.

Back