What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrically insulative coating over aluminum?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Fabricating a CB panel. The copper buss bar has been sleeved where possible with heat shrink, however it will be only about 1/4" above a panel protecting the internals.
Is there something I can apply to the inside of the panel so that nothing can short the buss bar to the inside of the panel? Electric tape seems obvious, but I'm not sure about it's longevity. Are there sheets of something similar I can use?

paint it with liquid tape if you really want, but I personally don't think it's necessary.

There's a million different brands just google "liquid electrical tape"

At the voltages we use in airplanes you could use just about anything that isn’t made of metal. Epoxy comes to mind, primer would work.

Flex Seal! Okay. that was simple. Thanks.

Now, those copper buss bars can't simply be anachronistic Cessna things. How else would you provide a way to power multiple current items while retaining a way to add future items easily?

Flex Seal! Okay. that was simple. Thanks.

Now, those copper buss bars can't simply be anachronistic Cessna things. How else would you provide a way to power multiple current items while retaining a way to add future items easily?

Clay- I'm not endorsing this approach, but since you asked, one other way to do it is to make short jumper wires with ring terminals on each end that go from breaker to breaker and take the place of the copper bar. The problem with this approach is that if screw on a breaker gets loose or one wire goes bad, then everything downstream of it will fail as well.

Another way would be to use an electronic circuit breaker box, which I know you're already doing.

Flex tape or Eternabond tape would work and will never come loose as long as the panel is clean before applying. Gorilla also has a clear version of this type of tape that also sticks forever. Van's also sells clear UHMW tape that would work.

Electrical insulation paper, “Fish Paper”.
Widely used in the electronics industry for that exact purpose, insulate
covers, housings, and such from circuit boards.

Back