What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eggenfellner H6 Turbo Thrust Test

I'm not going to throw any stones at the guys that are attempting to use alternative auto engine conversions since they may well end up one day developing a low cost & successful conversion that we can all benefit from (though that hasn't been the case so far...but hopefully there may be a break thru in development some day!). On the otherhand, I do want to point out the error of those that are choosing to go the auto engine conversion route because of the perception that only an auto engine will allow the use of cheaper 93 octane auto fuel. That is NOT the case! Any of the Lycoming engines can also use 93 octane auto fuel as well as long as the compression ratio is kept to a max of 8.5:1 or lower. In fact, if one were to instead retrofit the low compression 7.2:1 pistons from the turbocharged Lycoming models into any of the 0-360 or I0-360 engines then even the cheaper 87 low octane auto fuel can be run with no trouble what-so-ever. Note that a built up 7.2:1 low comp 0-360 with electronic ignition and minor flow balancing head work will still make 180-185 hp (vs about 195 hp with higher comp 9:1 pistons), which is still better than a bone stock 180 hp version that is the standard. Alot of us may well be converting to the 7.2:1 pistons in the future so that we also can run cheaper auto fuel too!!

Just my 2 cents!!

Back