What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Educational Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
This topic can go 1000 different ways. It may even be removed, but I would like some input.

A ran across a Facebook post (on an RV related Facebook group page) yesterday of a photo from an incident on the taxiway at Oshkosh a few years back involving an RV-6 and TBM avenger. The end result was a fatality for a passenger. The post included two photos of the aftermath, taken from what appears to be a first responders position on the scene. Some of you may have ran across the photos. I happened to witness the entire incident in person and in short, it was bad.

I denounced that the photos should even be posted to Facebook. Some others felt they had educational value.

This post has nothing to do with the cause of that incident or who was right or wrong.

My reason for posting this is :
Should those types of pictures be accepted as educational in nature and posted to open forums such as Facebook?

Thoughts ?

Many don't like or accept it, but, in this age of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and with a camera that can shoot stills and video in nearly everyone's hand, there will be photos and video of many distasteful scenes out there for all to see. We may not like it, but that's 2013.

I remember the incident, and had just left that area. Tragic miscommunication. Pictures were shown of the progressive prop strikes along the fuse but was cropped aft only. The picture was probably not educational for RV pilots but TBM guys (or other warbirds with limited near forward visibility) I might say yes. There is a TBM in my area and it has a camera mounted with a view screen to enable to pilot to see the area in front of the plane.

So, educational, yes, but for a limited audience. Education is more than a picture, it comes with text drawing a conclusion.

Just my opinion.

My high school drivers education program made us watch hours of video of car crashes and state troopers pulling bloody bodies from wreck all as part of our "education" of driving a car. That was 35 years ago so I do not know if it is still done.
Information, in any form, can be educational and those that don't approve/agree with the pictures they can just not read/look at them. Pictures are much more factual then much of the reporting ever is. When I see "RV down" posts I really only pay attention to ones with a picture. The article is never correct enough to glean anything useful. I am careful though to not form too much of my own opinion just from a couple pictures and wait for ntsb report.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back