What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge Distance for Fiberglass

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I have the horizontal split line on my cowling established. I am using the Skybolts down the horizontal split on the lower cowl. When I mark the rivet line in the center of the Skybolt Bracket Attachment flange, I have about 1/4 edge distance on the fiberglass. Is this enough? I could go a little lower but not much. Is there a benefit to staggering the rivets along this line? Thought I'd get some advice before I drill/commit the rivet line.

Much Thanks As Always!

Should not be a problem. I attached one to a piece of scrap fiberglass trimming and was able to hang from a floor joist with one rivet. Fatigue is not an issue and each C-Loc will have at least dedicated two rivets.

After researching, the one thing that people did not like on the split line was the jagged C-locs act like teeth snagging the upper cowl when installing. Further, they are not bowed in two directions and will have trouble fitting the contour in two dimensions. YMMV.

Here is what I did. I made a compound curve strip that fit perfectly. It was easy.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114861&highlight=skybolt

Good luck.

Back