What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easy way to a Stby Alternator?

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
I have a VP-X sport in my F-4. I have one surefly mag and single battery, single alternator setup.

I have in my head that I could easily add a stby alternator by just attaching it straight to the battery with a breaker switch. Negating the need to parallel it or wire it into the VP-X.

I’m actually considering the Monkeorks generator instead of an alternator as the generator doesn’t need the field wire. Just connect it straight into the battery.

Operation would be to deselect the field (in an over/under voltage to primary alternator failure), and flip a switch for the stby generator.

I understand that all the electrical system is going to be going through the battery, but I really have no problem with that, just as a means of adding some layer of electrical redundancy. I also understand that’s it inefficient. Again, just looking for an easy way to add redundancy with the confines of the VP-X.

Any faults in my thinking?

X

The Monkworkz unit can be enabled at start-up and left enabled, and it will kick-in automatically if the main alt fails (low voltage) - no pilot intervention required.

If you don't already have overvoltage protection on your main alternator, I'd fix that before adding a 2nd alternator or generator.

The Monkworkz unit can be enabled at start-up and left enabled, and it will kick-in automatically if the main alt fails (low voltage) - no pilot intervention required.

If you don't already have overvoltage protection on your main alternator, I'd fix that before adding a 2nd alternator or generator.
I have installed a Monkworkz generator with its regulator configured to kick in if the B and C Alt fails. I wired as per Monkworkz suggestion with an in line 40 Amp fuse to the switched side of my master relay. Ie in parallel to power my main power buss. I have kept it simple. It was easy to install. I leave it switched on all time. I monitor my system voltage and how many amps are supplying my battery and the electrical load in the aircraft. I occasionally switch off my main Alt to check that the Monkworz generator picks up the slack when my system voltage drops below 14.3 Volts. I like the idea that it doesnt need power ,as Alternators do.

I have had a Plane Power Alternator fail and drain my Earthx battery in the past( hence my move to a new B and C Alternator . Bill from Monkworks is very helpful and available with advice , even for people like me with limited expertise.
Jeff. Australia

Back