What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"ears" on canopy skin

macrafic

Well Known Member
I cut off my ears, which leaves a "flap" on the canopy skin (below where the ears used to be), extending along the sides back to the side rails. what did you all do with this "flap" to keep it snug against the canopy frame? It looks like I could drill a couple of more #40 holes in parallel with, but forward of, the skirts (basically externding the skirt holes forward to this flap), then rivet the flap with flush rivets to the canopy frame.

I cut off my ears, which leaves a "flap" on the canopy skin (below where the ears used to be), extending along the sides back to the side rails. what did you all do with this "flap" to keep it snug against the canopy frame? It looks like I could drill a couple of more #40 holes in parallel with, but forward of, the skirts (basically externding the skirt holes forward to this flap), then rivet the flap with flush rivets to the canopy frame.

Careful, "DaVinci"...there's a call sign hiding in that question... :D

Cutting off his ear was Van Gogh, not DaVinci.

I left the "ears" on, but had to enlarge the slot quite a bit.
IMG_2726-M.jpg

There should be room for a pair of rivets at the aft end of the "flap".
IMG_2727-M.jpg

I used Sikaflex to bond the canopy in place, so no screws.
IMG_2553-M.jpg

This area gets covered up with the fiberglass front fairing.
IMG_2577-M.jpg

Cutting off his ear was Van Gogh, not DaVinci.

I left the "ears" on, but had to enlarge the slot quite a bit.
IMG_2726-M.jpg

There should be room for a pair of rivets at the aft end of the "flap".
IMG_2727-M.jpg

I used Sikaflex to bond the canopy in place, so no screws.
IMG_2553-M.jpg

This area gets covered up with the fiberglass front fairing.
IMG_2577-M.jpg

Thanks Bruce. That is what I was thinking; looking for confirmation.

I took a body hammer with a pick tip (rounded end) to create a joggle on the skin right there the canopy begins to pass over it. It does lay flat and there is not a pucker or stressful bump on the canopy. I used modeling clay under the canopy for fitting to identify high spots and eliminate them (hammer). Rivets might be good to keep it in place and ensure a snug fit to the frame.

I have been delaying final glassing until the forward skin is firm, so can not comment about the final finish.

Last edited:
Back