What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAB in third world

MConner

Well Known Member
I have flown to Costa Rica many times in the private jet world but am considering a trip in my RV-10. Has anyone done this? Any issues with EAB in Mexico, Belieze, or CenAmer?

BTDT several times with no issues whatsoever.

FWIW: I recommend you use a reputable handler for your first trip so you learn the details of each countries advanced notification requirements. After that you can decide if you want to do them on your own. I will advise you that for Customs & Immigration issues the US is probably the WORST 3rd world country you will deal with.

Also, Use the ICAO assigned type designation (VAN'S) for filing flight plans but while flying in international airspace I recommend you use NOVEMBER-XXX call sign, not RV or EXPERIMENTAL. Using EXERIMENTAL causes un-needed confusion since it is has a different meaning for ICAO purposes that what the FAA uses. Just my 2 cents.

You can read about the several trips my wife and I made in my experimental airplane at the ADVENTURES section of our webpage PuertoricoFlyer.com.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...

BTDT several times with no issues whatsoever.

FWIW: I recommend you use a reputable handler for your first trip so you learn the details of each countries advanced notification requirements. After that you can decide if you want to do them on your own. I will advise you that for Customs & Immigration issues the US is probably the WORST 3rd world country you will deal with.

You can read about the several trips my wife and I made in my experimental airplane at the ADVENTURES section of our webpage PuertoricoFlyer.com.

Getting ready to do my first international flights. Thanks for the link to your adventures. This info will help me prepare.

Tailwinds and Blue Skies... Jeff

Getting ready to do my first international flights. Thanks for the link to your adventures. This info will help me prepare.

Tailwinds and Blue Skies... Jeff
PM me if you have questions and I will help out as best I can. I have found that many times talking on the phone beats back-n-forth messages.

BTW: This offer is open to anybody on VAF.

Flying around in nice there.

Galin,
I see you flying to and from but is it practical to tool around and sightsee from the plane once in country? I seemed to remember that it was discouraged in Costa Rica but that was more than 15 years ago.

Galin,
I see you flying to and from but is it practical to tool around and sightsee from the plane once in country? I seemed to remember that it was discouraged in Costa Rica but that was more than 15 years ago.
That is completely dependent on which country you are in. Some are very open to just flying around (El Salvador is an example) while others (like Nicaragua) really frown on it. That is another reason I recommend using a local handler for your 1st trip. After you "know the ropes" then you can decide if they are needed for other flights.

FWIW I did a LOT of just fun flying around in El Salvador and Honduras. I once flew down into the Coatepeque Volcano Caldera in a Piper Cherokee 180 just to see it from the air. That Caldera is HUGE and it was an AWESOME flight.

Last edited:
Thanks!

PM me if you have questions and I will help out as best I can. I have found that many times talking on the phone beats back-n-forth messages.

BTW: This offer is open to anybody on VAF.

That is very kind of you. If I feel unsure of something, I'll check in with you. Feel free to ring me up if you get the Nashville, TN area during your adventures. :)

Back