What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon upgrade to D1100: ADS-B "in" offline

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
Last year I accepted the offer from Dynon to upgrade to the D1100 from my original D1000. They assured me it was completely plug compatible. My "12" was built in 2013.

It all went very well but the screen now reports "ADSB IN OFFLINE". I've been working with Dynon tech support every since and still can't get it to work right. The 470 version ADSB IN box is correctly installed and even reports (in serial port setup) that it's working well and receiving non-traffic information. I can see non-traffic information in all the right places including the Map page. But I can't get the traffic info. I was seeing traffic info just fine before the swap.

I could write a short book on all the things that I've tried already, with good cooperation from Dynon. But we have tried many things with no fix yet.

Please prioritize your responses so that if you have experienced something like this I will see it first. I know many of you will have suggestions also but then I'd have to either ignore them or explain that I'd already tried them.
I really only want to hear from someone with a same or similar problem.IMG_8155.JPGIMG_8284.jpegIMG_8282.jpegIMG_8245.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8245.jpeg
    IMG_8245.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Update: This will need to be confirmed with one more flight. It appears that the "ADS-B in offline" message, accompanied by "TRAFFIC FAIL" are normal when the airplane is on the ground. In a test flight yesterday my fellow pilot noticed that the "TRAFFIC FAIL" message popped up just before touchdown. He thinks that it was not showing during flight. There wasn't any traffic around so it did not show up on the screen (symbol, vector, tail#) as would be normal. The METAR and related stuff was showing up well.

Does anyone know if that is the normal behavior for the Dynon with model 470 ADS-B receiver? If it is, then I don't have the problem I thought I had.

Update: This will need to be confirmed with one more flight. It appears that the "ADS-B in offline" message, accompanied by "TRAFFIC FAIL" are normal when the airplane is on the ground. In a test flight yesterday my fellow pilot noticed that the "TRAFFIC FAIL" message popped up just before touchdown. He thinks that it was not showing during flight. There wasn't any traffic around so it did not show up on the screen (symbol, vector, tail#) as would be normal. The METAR and related stuff was showing up well.

Does anyone know if that is the normal behavior for the Dynon with model 470 ADS-B receiver? If it is, then I don't have the problem I thought I had.
I have the SV-ADSB-470 ADS-B IN receiver, but with a SkyView Touch. Below is a screenshot from my SV Touch in my RV-8 while taxiing. You can see that I have an “ADS-B PARTIAL” (as opposed to “ADS-B OK”) and no message. I do have a GPS position.

screenshot.jpg

BTW, I see you have a “SYSEVENT 20” in your pic above. The latest SW for the HDX (v17.1) has this release note: "Fixed: A bug causing SkyView units with certain internal storage devices to mistakenly alert system event 20 or 21."

Last edited:
I have the SV-ADSB-470 ADS-B IN receiver. Below is a screenshot from my SV Touch in my RV-8 while taxiing to the runup area prior to takeoff. You can see that I have an “ADS-B PARTIAL” (as opposed to “ADS-B OK”) and no message. I do have a GPS position.

View attachment 68970
Thanks! Do you ever see any message about ADS–B IN as opposed to ADS–B? In hangar or between metal hangar rows? I don't see any tail numbers. Do you usually see any? On ground? Any message ever that's labeled TRAFFIC?

Very helpful so far.

Thanks! Do you ever see any message about ADS–B IN as opposed to ADS–B? In hangar or between metal hangar rows? I don't see any tail numbers. Do you usually see any? On ground? Any message ever that's labeled TRAFFIC?

Very helpful so far.
I think all bets are off certainly in the hangar and maybe between metal hangar rows. I’ll have to look next time I fly.

That “ADS-B Partial” or “ADS-B OK” in that data block is info regarding the status of ADS-B IN according to this Dynon snippet:

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 4.01.42 PM.jpg

If it says “Traffic”, you are getting TIS data from the Dynon transponder (or other third party device). I think you would get TIS data (if available) if your ADS-B receiver is not getting traffic data for some reason. I know Dynon was having some trouble with ADS-B IN traffic on some systems (i.e., HDX) and it would revert to TIS data, where available. See the release notes for the last few SW versions for the HDX that have come out here: https://dynonavionics.com/skyview-hdx-software-updates.php

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 4.09.25 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 4.08.20 PM.jpg
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I think all bets are off certainly in the hangar and maybe between metal hangar rows. I’ll have to look next time I fly.

That “ADS-B Partial” or “ADS-B OK” in that data block is info regarding the status of ADS-B IN according to this Dynon snippet:

If it says “Traffic”, you are getting TIS data from the Dynon transponder (or other third party device). I think you would get TIS data (if available) if your ADS-B receiver is not getting traffic data for some reason. I know Dynon was having some trouble with ADS-B IN traffic on some systems (i.e., HDX) and it would revert to TIS data, where available. See the release notes for the last few SW versions for the HDX that have come out here: https://dynonavionics.com/skyview-hdx-software-updates.php

View attachment 68977
Hope that helps.
Carl, very helpful. What Dynon document is that in? I somehow missed it after reading and re-reading what I thought was everything.

Carl, very helpful. What Dynon document is that in? I somehow missed it after reading and re-reading what I thought was everything.
It’s on page 5-28 of the SV HDX Pilot’s User Guide: https://dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/skyview/SkyView_HDX_Pilots_Users_Guide-Rev_P.pdf

Note the comment on “Traffic Fail” annuciation:

Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 7.41.50 PM.jpg

Also note the “Traffic Receiver Priority” described on page 5-29.

Correction: I was wrong in a prior post when I said that if you see “Traffic” it is only TIS traffic. That is not correct. The widget box under the word “Traffic” tells you from what soucre the traffic info is coming from, i.e., ADS-B IN, TIS (Transponder), FLARM, ZAON, etc. Hope that is clear. See pages 5-28 and 5-29 and that should clear up any confusion. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I'm sure you guys know that the Dynon ADSB-470 is single band only and does not receive the 1090 MHz air-to-air information. Based at Olympia, I have flown many flights in the area of CLS with the 470 (showing "PARTIAL") and generally see very little of the traffic until up at an altitude of about 2800 feet when I then see the message "ADSB -OK". I assume that is because, up at altitude in that area, it then can receive a ground station. I upgraded to the ADSB-472 (easy but expensive) and I now see a ton more traffic. If anyone wants my 470 for a spare I will give you a deal you can't refuse; it is no longer sold by Dynon.

Back